New to the system an dneed HELP!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
ConfusedMum

New to the system an dneed HELP!

Post by ConfusedMum »

Please be patient with a new user -

My child is in year five and I have just filled in the form to register for the 11+ in Warwickshire.

I am told by the Education Dept. that the test has changed this year to the Durham University CEM paper. This means not a lot to me as I don't know what the old one was!

However, I am told that it would be useful to get my child to practice but then I am told in the next breath that there are no papers to test with!

Can this be true? Can someone please help me?
Hopeful,
Deperate Mum
teacher

11+ new format

Post by teacher »

Hello!
I think all parents/teachers in Warks. are in the dark as it is indeed a new format this year. Previously, the Athey papers were the nearest to the Warks. test but this year the test will include maths, English comprehension, NVR and VR. I am going through all these areas using a variety of materials that I have built up over the years, some of which you will find more information about in the forum under Warks. previous posts and under Books. The VR element still appears important. I presume you have seen this before:

Each test will be of 45 minutes duration.

Paper 1 will include:
20 minutes verbal reasoning
10 minutes short maths questions
15 minutes comprehension

Paper 2 will include:
15 minutes longer maths questions
10 minutes data processing questions
10 minutes non verbal reasoning
10 minutes missing words in paragraph test (‘cloze test’)

Verbal reasoning involves the manipulation of verbal representations and the solving of verbally presented problems. Orthographic, syntactic and semantic abilities, as well as logic and other problem solving skills are needed in verbal reasoning.

Comprehension tests the ability to make inferences as to meaning within and between phrases, sentences and paragraphs; to derive the ‘gist’ of the meaning from a text; understand the vocabulary, and extract accurate interpretations of the written language.

Non-Verbal
Non-verbal reasoning tests eliminate cultural bias in intelligence testing and the possible bias against individuals who lack experience of a particular language or have difficulties with verbal elements.

The ‘Cloze Test’ consists of several short passages of prose. It needs an overall understanding of the passage, but it requires closer attention to the grammatical and syntactic elements of written language than in the comprehension test. The candidate selects the most appropriate word from a choice of three at various points in the passage so as to make sense of the phrase and/or sentence.
Mathematical Sections:
Short mathematical questions will test ability in mental arithmetic and recognition of mathematical patterns (curriculum free as possible). A rigorous test of working memory skills with a speed element to this section. Not all the candidates will be expected to finish.
Longer mathematics problems explore numerical problem solving requiring more stages of processing with a greater verbal element involved than in the short maths questions.

One familiarisation paper will be issued to each candidate registered for the tests with the notice of allocation to a particular Test Centre.

A single testing session will include:
Test Paper 1 (45 minutes)
Break for refreshment and toilets
Test paper 2 (45 minutes)

Supplementary tests will be held on 20th October 2008. These will only be available for those who provide proof of illness on the day of the original tests (doctor’s note) or who are able to provide evidence of special circumstances such as religious grounds or previously booked engagements prior to the date of the original tests. Late applications from parents moving into the priority area will be included in this group.
KenR

Post by KenR »

Hi All

Univ of Durham CEM Bespoke 11+ tests have been used for the Birmingham KE Foundation Grammar exams for a few years now. No doubt the new new warwickshire test will have some similarities.

The skills the candidates will need to solve the cloze test sound similar to those required for VR synonyms sector of KE Birmingham tests; viz. extensive vocabularly, reading age circa 14.5 years + coupled with an understanding of the true meaning of words.

In the synonyms tests I was given an examples by prep schools teachers such as:-

Volatile, load, explosive, talkative, welcoming... where you have to select a word from the last 4 that best matches the 1st word.

To give you an idea of the expected level, other words might typically be....Vibrant, Indolent, Labyrinthine, Enigmatic, Abhor, Zealot, Wrangle, Brevity, Notorious etc etc.

This is definitely an area you can work on with your child. You can do a number of exercises:-

1. Get your child to read some articles of the broadsheet newspapers every day and get them to explain what's going on.
2. Read through the newspapers yourself and select and highlight some of more difficult words with a highligh pen and make sure they understand the precise definition.
3. Maybe try 11+ material such as the The Tutors Volcabularly Builder- see 11+ material section (Please note I haven't tried this myself - but it sounds like it might help)
4. Just do lots of different VR, NVR and Maths material.
5. Keep them topped up over the school holidays

Hope this helps
teacher

11+

Post by teacher »

Yes, vocabulary is huge! I also look at the independent selectives and their entrance test. I like the comprehension tests for HAB's etc. as I think they are a good level. I still use Bond, Athey etc. for VR and I make chn keep a vocabulary A4 notebook with mind maps for topics rather than lists. I have card matching exercises, flashcards etc. etc.
ConfusedMum

Thank you everyone for your help!

Post by ConfusedMum »

I feel slightly less confused at this point!

I guess I will just do my best and help my child prepare as well as I can. The gist iof what I have read about the 'new' tests leads me to believe that variety is the way forward.

I was never looking for a magic formua- to be honest the person at the education dept. spooked me a little - I felt niave in so much as I hadn't thought about preparation. She mentioned preparation and tutoring to me and said that even though others did, I shouldn't, as they didn't advise it! This of course made me think "Oh I should think about it" - what do you think of when someone tells you not to think of a pink elephant!!! Exactly!

I guess th problem is that there is really not a fair and unbiased way. Anyway I have no intention of getting my child stressed out for all this, thank you for the general sensible advise from you good people! :lol:
Hopeful,
Deperate Mum
Bad Dad

Post by Bad Dad »

Great info in this thread, as usual. One question I had was do people expect each paper to be delivered in individual sections, or will they have to work straight through for the full 45 minutes? So for example, if there is a 20 minute VR followed by 10 minutes short maths, will the invigilator stop them after the 20 minutes, and start them on the maths together?
teacher

Timings

Post by teacher »

Could be anything, couldn't it! I imagine that the tests would all be on one paper so that they don't have to keep stopping and starting to give out papers etc. Bit like the SAT's, I suppose.
Bad Dad

Post by Bad Dad »

I imagine each 45 min session would be on one paper but they might be told to stop at the page break at the end of each section. For subjects like NVR, I thought it was common to go through an example immediately before starting the questions. Maybe KenR or fm can tell us what happens in KE Birmingham?
KenR

Post by KenR »

Hi All

If it's like the B/Ham KE arrangements then the invigilators will tell them when to stop one section, turn the page and start the next section.

At one time in B/Ham they used to play a tape and then ask comprhension questions about it, but I think this was stopped last year.

The point is that they won't be able to turn back through pages and complete previous questions once that section is finished.

The other thing to bear in mind is that the various section type across the 2 papers will probably be consolidated together and Age Standardised separately so that you get 3 sets of Age Standardised scores for VR, NVR and Numerical/Maths which are added together to give a total score. This is what happens in the KE test.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now