Go to navigation
It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:42 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Did the Head fib?!!!!!
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:49 pm 

Thought it was about time I registered! Hope everyone has had a great summer holiday!

Now the countdown to the 4th October begins!

How have you found the primary school your son or daughter goes to have been about the 11 plus? We only got told it was in October a couple of months ago, we were expecting it to be next year!! We also got told at the school meeting that if we selected the Grammar School first that the local Catholic school wouldn't take your child... apparently that's not been the case for 2 years or so now!!! I find it hard to believe the head wasn't aware of that...???!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:52 pm 

Gosh, that's all a bit shocking Daisy! How misinformed!
Hopefully others will return to Warks soon and it won't just be a 2 way conversation!!
Sick of me yet?!
:mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:02 pm 

Ha ha! We'll make them jealous with our informed, entertaining chat and they'll soon come flooding back!! Best find me some info now...!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:45 pm 

Not 100% sure, but I have also heard this of the Catholic school (if you mean the one in Alcester?). Apparently being a faith school allows them different criteria! However, as mentioned, I'm not sure how true this is but I've heard it from a few different sources.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:25 pm 

Although most faith schools can set their own admissions criteria they cannot override the statutory sections of the admissions code. So the head of the RC school was incorrect to say that ranking a non-faith school as a higher preference would mean they (the RC school!) wouldn't
consider your child.

I am not in your area, but last October when I visited my local catholic school I was told the same thing. Then a few days later a letter was sent home via my DD's school saying this was a mistake! We were then able to rank my DD's preferred school (a highly competitive one) first & the RC school second, knowing that if she failed the 11+ she could still go to a good school...

I find it amazing that some heads are so ill-informed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:28 am 

Hi!

Sorry, got confused, it was actually the head at the local C of E school that wrongfully informed us! The meeting was only a couple of months ago too - you'd have thought they'd be aware of the actual admissions criteria!

Unfortunately, despite around 15 members of my family, including myself, my brother, my dad, my aunts and uncles, cousins etc. going to the local Catholic school, my son is not Catholic (neither am I) and now the Catholic school is very, very difficult to get into. We're having to consider the fact that our son may have to go to the local high school, which for reasons purely related to his past and a tumour he had, is completely unsuitable! Chances of him getting through the 11 plus? Who knows! Because of that same past issue he has days where his memory fails him, yesterday he couldn't remember for the life of him how to multiply. The amount of school jumpers and replacement shoes we have to buy in one year is incredible!!

Best wishes and luck to everyone!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:24 am 

daisy wrote:
apparently that's not been the case for 2 years or so now!!! I find it hard to believe the head wasn't aware of that...???!!!!!!

I don't. I wouldn't be surprised if a Head didn't bother reading the admissions info each year. "I've been doing the job for 25 years - it's always the same information that County send out".