Pass mark for Warwickshire?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Rugbymum

Post by Rugbymum »

jacquie wrote:oooooh...It has been 45 minutes to complete a 100 questions for some years- decreased from the original 50mins. Ithink speed was one of the elements they trusted would get them the brightest children.
Yes but with the complexity and variety of questions requiring different skills, it is bound to slow them down a bit...unlike when it was all VR questions (which my son can get through very quickly).
Charlotte67

Post by Charlotte67 »

Last year it was 80 questions in 50 mins x 2.

Many children didn't finish. (I'm sure they weren't all lying Bad Dad :wink: )
jacquie

Post by jacquie »

We'll have to see. The tests are in sections though. If you call Warwicks they will give you the breakdown of how long for each section- the english/maths/data processing/ non vr/ vr...questions are not going to be all mixed up; but it is still a 25 min vr test. That's what they told me, anyway!
fm

Post by fm »

I really would expect the unexpected. King Edward Foundation has on their websit that the exam will consist of 2 x 45 minutes, with verbal reasoning, mathematics, non-verbal reasoning and reading comprehension/English skills.
So far there has been nothing that you would find on a traditional verbal reasoning paper other than synonyms. Instead the test compromises of a whole lot of sections. Last year it was approximately:
Paper 1
10 mins multiple choice English comprehension
10 mins proof reading
5/10 mins non-verbal -- working out the 2d view of 3d shapes
Maths -- data interpration and problem solving
Paper 2
Passages with missing words with a choice of 3 each word for best fit
Straight synonms - 56 about 10 minutes
Mental Arithmetic --substitution of values in algebraic equation, comparison of fraction values etc.
Non-verbal -- matrices only with hexagons rather than squares

As you can see from the list above, practising endless NFER styles paper does not address this exam at all.
In a sense you are lucky because all your entrants are starting on an even playing field--as in no one has a real idea of what it will like.

Hope the above is helpful.
KenR

Post by KenR »

Hi All

The format of the new test was published earlier this year in the original consulation document:-
The Selection Tests for entry to Year 7 in 2009

The tests will comprise two standard format papers (bespoke papers available only to Warwickshire County Council).

Children whose parents have registered for the tests will attend the tests centres to complete the test papers. Normally, each child will attend only one session. Details of the test centre are sent to the parent following registration, normally in August or September. Parents of children living in Warwickshire with difficulties in transporting their child to a test centre can raise their individual case with the Admissions Service.

The tests will be set in a morning (possibly an afternoon) session in test centres (mainly the grammar schools in each area) on at least one Saturday during the first half of the Autumn Term, 4th October 2008. If a second date is required it will be Saturday, 11th October 2008.

Each test will be of 45 minutes duration.

Paper 1 will include:
20 minutes verbal reasoning
10 minutes short maths questions
15 minutes comprehension

Paper 2 will include:
15 minutes longer maths questions
10 minutes data processing questions
10 minutes non verbal reasoning
10 minutes missing words in paragraph test (‘cloze test’)

Verbal reasoning involves the manipulation of verbal representations and the solving of verbally presented problems. Orthographic, syntactic and semantic abilities, as well as logic and other problem solving skills are needed in verbal reasoning.

Comprehension tests the ability to make inferences as to meaning within and between phrases, sentences and paragraphs; to derive the ‘gist’ of the meaning from a text; understand the vocabulary, and extract accurate interpretations of the written language.

Non-Verbal
Non-verbal reasoning tests eliminate cultural bias in intelligence testing and the possible bias against individuals who lack experience of a particular language or have difficulties with verbal elements.

The ‘Cloze Test’ consists of several short passages of prose. It needs an overall understanding of the passage, but it requires closer attention to the grammatical and syntactic elements of written language than in the comprehension test. The candidate selects the most appropriate word from a choice of three at various points in the passage so as to make sense of the phrase and/or sentence.
Mathematical Sections:
Short mathematical questions will test ability in mental arithmetic and recognition of mathematical patterns (curriculum free as possible). A rigorous test of working memory skills with a speed element to this section. Not all the candidates will be expected to finish.
Longer mathematics problems explore numerical problem solving requiring more stages of processing with a greater verbal element involved than in the short maths questions
This might have changed, but this will give some idea. Similar in some respects to the B/Ham KE Foundation although this is a bespoke test for Warwickshire.

I think the original consultation document mentioned test practice papers being sent out - don't know if any parents have received these.

Just a final word of warning, I believe that the same test will be set on 3 different dates in Oct so don't post any of the questions that appeared in test on the forum until after the final test date as this could give an unfair advantage to those children taking the exam on 2nd and 3rd dates.

Hope this helps
jacquie

Post by jacquie »

Re Comprehension- one parent who rang up was told this would be multiple choice. However, when I rang to ask about this, the person I spoke to could not confirm this and said there was nothing to say either way! Anyone know about this?
fm

Post by fm »

The comprehension in the KE this year was definitely multiple choice. Logistically it would be a nightmare to mark any other kind with 5000 entering the KE Foundation exams.

Similarly, if you also have a large number of children entering your exam, I can't see it being anything but multiple choice. I would also argue MC is fairer on the children because it does not exclude children who are good readers but have no real idea on how to answer more tradititonal comprehension questions (which is pretty much all the year 5 children I see from state schools).

Looking at what Kenr has posted, this is fairly like our exam. The only big difference is the 20 minutes VR part (where we would do 10 minutes synonms and 10 minutes of proofreading).

On the non-verbal line, our exam sees to switch every 2 years. For 2 years we had series and the most alike but instead of with shapes it was with insects. You apply the same techniques but they just look different. They were relatively easy; there was just a lot of them in a short period (75 in 10 or 15 mins, can't remember which).
This year they split the non-verbal into 2 different types and put a section in each paper. There was about 85 of them but split between the two papers. Children either got it or they didn't as far as the 3d views were concerned.
jacquie

Post by jacquie »

Thankyou for that! I see what you mean about the marking and , yes, I agree with you about answering the questions as children never seem to know what a sentence is these days, so would be disadvantaged, if the answers needed to be grammatically correct!
Bad Dad

Post by Bad Dad »

Hi fm/KenR, thanks for all your fantastic advice - we really appreciate the help from Birmingham veterans! When you talk about multiple choice, are the answers completed on the same sheet as the questions or is there a separate answer sheet? Also, are the children told to use separate rough sheets for workings or is it ok to scrawl on the question paper?
fm

Post by fm »

Dear Bad Dad,

I shall ask my daughter if she can remember what she did. If she doesn't, I'll try and ask one of my old pupils.

I know they have a booklet to answer in but whether that also includes the question paper I don't know.

I shouldn't worry too much about this aspect of the exam. There are downsides to telling the children too closely what to expect. In the week before the exam I tend to go through with my pupils what might be in the exam (with the emphasis on might) but this year there was a major alteration in that there was a comprehension passage right at the beginning (instead of a proofreading on which you had to answer questions much later from memory) and my own daughter complained vociferously that 'it wasn't how I'd said', which appeared to have thrown her into a tizz (although she did gain entry). It left me wondering whether the runthrough was productive or not.

I know in our exam a tape is used to issue the children with instructions, so that things are consistent throughout the many venues in Birmingham where the children sit the exam.

It is natural to want to prepare your children as thoroughly as possible for this experience but ultimately you can't pass it for them and the best preparation for this type of exam is probably to challenge your child with a variety of new and different types of questions so they learn to cope with the unexpected. By all means practice the bog standard non-verbal and verbal so you know you have all the bases covered, but then go out and find some papers which aren't bog standard.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now