Alcester Grammar

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
PollyP

Alcester Grammar

Post by PollyP »

We would like to put Alcester Grammar as first choice for my dd, but we are outside the priority area. Does anyone know if anybody from outside catchment does get in in the end? ( I know she wouldn't get an offer in March and would have to wait). It would be useful to know if there is any hope or if all places usually go to Warws children. Thank you!
magwich2

alcester grammar

Post by magwich2 »

I think some do get in from out of county but have you not thought of "moving"?
Warwickshire is a lovely county and the quality of life is very good here(especially if you aren't spending most of your income on school fees!!)
Rents are not too expensive in the area and if you do not like it you can always move again!!
I understand from playground gossip that the Alcester head prefers to take children from the locality
mad?

Post by mad? »

magwich2

By "moving" are you suggesting that someone comes and rents in the area to secure a place and then moves on?
mad?
PollyP

Post by PollyP »

We would love to live in Warwickshire and would certainly move nearer if she gained a place. However, it seems fairly drastic to move beforehand, not even knowing if she'll pass the exam. There are also her siblings at primary school to consider. Thank you anyway for your ideas.
Rugbymum

Post by Rugbymum »

If you need more information thats not based on playground gossip, do contact the Family Information Service at Warwickshire - they are a mine of information and have been really helpful with my queries, and have even sent me tables showing how many children came from out of catchment area etc for the schools I have asked about.
badder dadder

Post by badder dadder »

In the 'priority area' does not refer to Warwickshire children alone.

Advice: never listen to playground gossip. It's often even less accurate than this forum.
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

We were out of catchment for the Eastern Warwickshire part of the county (our son took the exam last year). For the boy's school they do take OOC children but it is an entirely different matter (according to the local authority) for the girl's school. If you want to increase the chances of your child being actually offered a place (dependent upon performance in the 11+) then you may need to consider a move - a real one.

We risked it last year with our son. He DID receive a qualifying score and was offered a place in the first round of offers as they cocked up and thought that we were in catchment!! Despite this, we accepted an offer at another school (we surprised ourselves actually!)

We still live OOC and have our daughter in year 5. We KNOW that we need to move this time in order to give her a chance of receiving a place.

Good luck with everything. Keep us posted.
Rose petal

Post by Rose petal »

The AGS lower school prospectus (which I picked up at the recent open evening) contains the following, on page 3:

"Children not resident in South Warwickshire can be considred for a place at AGS. However, in the first round of offers for year 7 entry, applications will be considered only from children within the priority circle for the Southern Area. This circle has a radius of approximately 17 miles centred on the American Memorial in Market Place, Stratford-on-Avon."

Why don't you phone admissions at Warks County Council and ask them if where you live is within this circle, that was what I did. I don't live in Warwickshire either, but am only about 3 miles from the County border, and this is the school I would like my DD to go to.

Rose Petal
PollyP

Post by PollyP »

Thank you for taking the time to help me everyone. I've already phoned admissions and we are definitely outside the priority area, if not by a lot. Oh well, whatever will be will be.