11+ Paper 26th Sept

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Post by Guest »

Hi Teacher

Thank you for replying.

Are you actually from Warwickshire? Just asking as I wonder if your estimate of 90%(ish) is a generalisation or whether it is with knowledge of our area? Hopefully if it's the latter then my daughter should be on target as she achieved 94% in the practise test!

Lucky
teacher

To Lucky!

Post by teacher »

It sounds as if your daughter did very well! My understanding of the Warwickshire 'pass mark' (where I tutor) is only based on information I try to glean/ general understanding from past years/practice papers etc. and I would therefore imagine that she stands an excellent chance if she can get a similar score on the real thing!

Good luck!
teacher

To Lucky!

Post by teacher »

It sounds as if your daughter did very well! My understanding of the Warwickshire 'pass mark' (where I tutor) is only based on information I try to glean/ general understanding from past years/practice papers etc. and I would therefore imagine that she stands an excellent chance if she can get a similar score on the real thing!

Good luck!

Post by Guest »

Thank you teacher I really appreciate your reply.

It is such a long wait until March and with playground conversations regarding the eleven plus rife I find myself desperately seeking any information I can that might just help put my mind at rest. One day I'm on a high with one persons take on things and the next I'm really low with anothers! The admissions office are very cagey regarding anything to do with the 'pass mark'. Just as everybody else does, we want the best for our daughter and we so felt that the grammar school would be the perfect environment for her to continue her education.

I am so envious of (and pleased for) the Lincolnshire bunch who get to know the results before they have to choose their options.

I know that all we can do is wait until March but your comments certainly help ease the stress - thank you.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Hi Teacher

>Don't panic is the first piece of advice! is your child taking the exam soon or are you thinking about taking it next year? Are you living in in Warwickshire or are you living in the catchment area<

Apologies - intentionally off line while I tutor

No real panic (yet) My child is in catchment but out of direct borough, therefore takes the exam later this week. As said , main concern is with
actual exam processes:
1) Does the envigilator shout out the last 5 minutes or should children all have a watch/clock they have to check?
2) Supply own (squared) rough working paper?
3) What is the closest available paper(s) in terms of matching the difficulty levels?
4) Are the papers laid out to undeline.circle answers etc. on the sheet ... or does a seperate answer sheet need to be filled out ?

all inocuous questions, I believe

Chaz

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:Thank you teacher I really appreciate your reply.

It is such a long wait until March and with playground conversations regarding the eleven plus rife I find myself desperately seeking any information I can that might just help put my mind at rest. One day I'm on a high with one persons take on things and the next I'm really low with anothers! The admissions office are very cagey regarding anything to do with the 'pass mark'. Just as everybody else does, we want the best for our daughter and we so felt that the grammar school would be the perfect environment for her to continue her education.

I am so envious of (and pleased for) the Lincolnshire bunch who get to know the results before they have to choose their options.

I know that all we can do is wait until March but your comments certainly help ease the stress - thank you.

I found that when I went through the secondary school transfer process with my first child like yourself I wanted as much info as possible from other parents and like yourself I had "highs and lows" and nothing seemed to put my mind at rest. It then dawned on me that these really were only other peoples opinions and so I stopped asking questions and listening to playground chit chat and suddenly felt much better about the decisions that I had made. With my second child I have taken the conscious decision not to talk about secondary schools with other parents. The process is stressful enough without other parents increasing that stress albeit unintentianally. You may be better off seeking opinion/advice from this forum as it all seems very sensible.
Hope this advice helps you in some way.
teacher

To Chaz

Post by teacher »

Hope this is not too late to help!

1. There will be a clock in the exam hall but the invigilator should also call out when the children have ten minutes left. Let your child take a watch but make sure he/she knows how to use it i.e. if the exam starts at 9.30 then you should be finished by this time etc etc. Don't set an alarm on it!!

2. I think the Athey papers are closest to the Stratford exams (q.v. their website which I believe is linked somewhere on this site)

3. Children do all their answers on the exam sheet, so that underlining, circling etc. should all be on the paper they are given. They can also do working out on that which is probably better than doing it separately on scrap anyway.
Hope this is useful and that the test goes well!
shinealight

Re: 11+ Paper 26th Sept

Post by shinealight »

Hi Teacher

Just getting my DD ready for next years 11+ round and was wondering if you could tell me the closing date for the application to Warwick and Stratford exams? I'm in Bham so she will also be sitting the Bham constortium which will be our first choices but want to give her a run through of the real thing and understand that Warwick is in July and Stratford is later. Could you please help?

Thanks
Shinealight
Always looking on the bright side of life..!
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

If you want an answer specifically from teacher I suggest you send a pm, s/he last posted in March so perhaps may not visit the forum very often.

If you mean Stratford Grammar School for Girls, the entrance exam for that is the Warwickshire 11+ (likewise Alcester Grammar School). Alcester and the Stratford schools are in the South Area of Warwickshire. You are correct that the closing date for the Warwickshire 11+ was mid-July this year. There was a very short window between the form becoming available (beginning of July) and the closing date so you will need to keep a sharp eye on the Warwickshire Admissions website:

http://www.warwickshire.gov.uk/Web/corp ... E2002BC28A" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you're applying for a place rather than taking it for practice (who would do a thing like that? :oops: ) then you need to check the 17-mile priority circle for South Area (there's a map on the website). That takes in places like Solihull, Shirley and Barnt Green but excludes Birmingham except perhaps (without checking a large scale map) a few streets along the very southern fringe. If you're outside the circle your daughter won't be offered a place on March 1st but can go on the waiting list if she gets a qualifying score.

Mike
shinealight

Post by shinealight »

Hi Mike

Thanks for the info'. So do you mean that there is only 11+ exam for these schools because I'm a bit confused from reading the recent posts about the different tests being taken in WW :? Do I need to apply only to WW or to the schools in question separately?

Thanks
Shinealight
Always looking on the bright side of life..!