BORDERLINE CASES 2008

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
FAM

BORDERLINE CASES 2008

Post by FAM »

Does anyone know how they will assess borderline cases this year as there was no essay, will the schools have any clout? I think I remember someone else asking a similar question and someone saying they were going to find out !! THXS
Charlotte67

Post by Charlotte67 »

Under the system last year the schools were informed of results before Christmas, they then had a period of time to put forward a case for children who didn't (quite) get in, the essay was also looked at. Under the new proposals (for next year) the system is the same but without the essay* - I assume (but cannot catagorically state) that this year's boarderlines will be treated in the same way (as below).

*"Exceptions to the Automatic Standard

Children in public care or provided with accommodation by an authority (section 22 of the Children Act 1989) scoring within the possible exceptions group will be placed at the top of the Committee of Reference ranking list in their individual ranking order provided the Committee feels the child’s ability would mean that they were suitably placed in a grammar school.

The Committee will consider the child’s scores as well as additional information provided by the relevant primary school (normally primary schools ranking lists which indicate the school’s assessment of the child’s performance on a day to day basis) to decide whether some candidates who do not qualify automatically should be included as an exception to the standard.

Referrals of individual cases from primary schools (and in some cases parents) will be considered by the Committee, but the Committee can set the referral aside or consider it further.

A primary school report will be requested. The scores, the primary school ranking and the school report will be used by the Committees to provide a ranking order for the exceptions to the automatic standard in which vacancies will be offered.

The Committee has the right to accelerate a child up the list above their score position (but not above the automatic standard) based on the information received.

Having considered the information, the Committee can return a child to their original position in the descending score order.

The standardised scores for each child will be sent to every primary school around Christmas time to ensure that the school considers that the child’s score is a reasonable reflection of their ability.

It should be noted that there are unlikely to be many children who will ultimately be considered as exceptions. These children will be considered within paragraphs iii and v of the admissions criteria."

Rugbymum

Post by Rugbymum »

Thanks for this info...

The waiting is starting to get to me :?
Charlotte67

Post by Charlotte67 »

I remember it well! Not long now... What is your second choice?
FAM

Post by FAM »

Many thanks for the info, it was very helpful
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now