Go to navigation
It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:35 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 331 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 34  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:49 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:59 am
Posts: 893
Location: Cloud 9
Hot off the press!

Have a look at this:

http://www.rhswebsite.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=189&Itemid=302

I haven't read it yet so can't comment.

Charlotte


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:58 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:59 am
Posts: 893
Location: Cloud 9
Incase you miss the link at the bottom of the page, this is the important document:
http://www.rhswebsite.co.uk/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_download&gid=71&Itemid=179

I have the most horrendous butterflies just reading it! Still digesting - so unable to comment, apart from to say:

Nightmare for some!!!

All the best,

Charlotte


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:27 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:57 pm
Posts: 62
OK, I've only scaned through it but assume it's a rework of an older document - it refers to late entrants sitting the same Moray House test (the old system) as their peers.
The Headmasters referal system still seems to be in place and results are sent to school at 'about' Christmas time. SO THE SCHOOLS PROBABLY KNOW THE RESULTS NOW - of course that doesn't mean the teachers will give any clues - but they just might let slip with comments or questions about chosen school.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:46 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:20 pm
Posts: 768
Congratulations Charlotte67, well noticed, and it looks like great news for you!

I wonder if someone might try to appeal against this (I won't!) on grounds that it goes against the "Greenwich" judgement - ie do you know whether any of the parishes referred to are in Northamptonshire? It'll be good news if they are, because an appeal would then be very difficult.

Must rush...need to 'phone to an estate agent in Rugby... :wink:

_________________
Loopy


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:07 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:59 am
Posts: 893
Location: Cloud 9
cam wrote:
OK, I've only scaned through it but assume it's a rework of an older document - it refers to late entrants sitting the same Moray House test (the old system) as their peers.


Very strangely worded, "The exception to this is students under the age of 14years and three months seeking a place in Year 9 who will be required to sit the Moray House tests used to select the rest of their cohort." These children - going into Year 9 in 2010 - would not have sat Moray House, but NfER... And why single them out? I'm sure there must be a sensible (maybe even obvious) reason??

cam wrote:
The Headmasters referal system still seems to be in place and results are sent to school at 'about' Christmas time. SO THE SCHOOLS PROBABLY KNOW THE RESULTS NOW - of course that doesn't mean the teachers will give any clues - but they just might let slip with comments or questions about chosen school.


Looks like the same system as was used for this year's Year 7s. No-one let anything slip to us....

Loupylouou wrote:
I wonder if someone might try to appeal against this (I won't!) on grounds that it goes against the "Greenwich" judgement - ie do you know whether any of the parishes referred to are in Northamptonshire?


All East Warks

Loupylouou wrote:
Must rush...need to 'phone to an estate agent in Rugby... :wink:


I have heard of a most desirable property which might come onto the market - walking distance of both RHS and LSS. The owners are apparently considering a move to a neighbouring county where, it is rumoured, house prices are about to plummet and the utopia of a truely comprehensive education is a distinct possiblity.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:47 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:12 pm
Posts: 115
Thanks for your message Charlotte.

[quote]Within all criteria first priority is given to those achieving the highest score in the11+ test. Where there is a need to split any category or group of pupils, places will be offered by taking the pupil’s score in the Numeracy section of the paper. Where there is a further need to split any category places will then be offered in accordance with distance between the child’s home and school (shortest distance = highest priority). Distance will be calculated by the straight line measurement from the applicant’s home address location to the centre point (“centroidâ€


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:02 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:59 am
Posts: 893
Location: Cloud 9
I could well be wrong here but I assume that it will operate as it has up to now, just with a different 'priority' area.

If this is the case then children in Northants might still get in - But only those with very high scores - And only in the second round of offers, as the automatic entry cut off is set at just short the number of places (if you get my drift???)

My daughter (conveniently) has a friend who was top of the waiting list after first round offers - she ranked 34th in the test. IF children from Northants are allowed to sit the test (a telephone call is in order I feel) then they will need to perform very well to be offered one of those extremely rare second round places.

I found it interesting that 34th was the best that 'out of priority circle' girls could do - Go Rugby!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:59 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:12 pm
Posts: 115
Well to me that seems fair..ish...! Just ridiculous they didnt think this through properly years ago when they first decided to 'let' Daventry in! If children with really high scores may get in, then I am glad about that, as I do think the grammar school in Rugby offers a great environment for anyone really bright- specifically because they will have a deal of challenge from other pupils and not be alone, at the top of the tree ( like a fairy!! told you I had my Christmas head on)

Daventry children need to be really well prepared for Secondary School, and be placed in top sets; they can then achieve their potential, whichever school they attend at Secondary Level: I teach and prepare my pupils- not specifically for the exam, but aim to enrich in Literacy and Mathematics, so they may achieve the highest levels possible.

And there is much to do, considering the way bright children are 'left' to do their own thing at Primary, it seems, these days. It's always been hard to get in to Rugby High, so, if what you say is right, these changes mean that those with top scores may still get in, in the 2nd round. Therefore, it's still possible, but harder!??


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:47 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:59 am
Posts: 893
Location: Cloud 9
jacquie wrote:
It's always been hard to get in to Rugby High, so, if what you say is right, these changes mean that those with top scores may still get in, in the 2nd round. Therefore, it's still possible, but harder!??


I wouldn't bet on it Jacquie, I have heard rumours that out of county children will not be able to sit the exam. We need clarification from the powers that be.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:07 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:12 pm
Posts: 115
I'm sure there will be more machinations in the future. More unfair than anything was the time, a year or so ago, when, in error, some children were given the 11 +papers, as practice papers. Many of these children passed with ridiculously high scores; the system failed and also many failed, who otherwise would have passed. That made me feel sick; It was unfair to all the children. A fair few of those who passed are not coping and as we know, this led to the 'new' exam, with the schools in control, last year. It was horrible example of how adults mess up while acting as if they are doing everything soooo properly..
My response to this current situation is, Work hard; take opportunities that come and in the end, you get where you'd have got to if you'd gone to Rugby High, but by a different route. 'che sera sera';


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 331 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 34  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
CALL 020 8204 5060
   
Privacy Policy | Refund Policy | Disclaimer | Copyright © 2004 – 2016