Etiquette?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Ed's mum

Etiquette?

Post by Ed's mum »

Hello my forum friends...I wonder if you can settle a dispute for me...

The other day I was waiting in a queue in a petrol station forecourt. There were two pumps in front of me. The car just in front of me was still being filled, and the car in front of that drove away. Therefore, there was a space available for me (I was in the front of the queue) if I drove around the car that was being filled.

My twin sister screamed in horror at me and told me to stop and wait. I did not have a clue why she wanted me to stop - there was a space and a queue behind me. According to her it is etiquette to wait for BOTH cars to drive off and then drive forwards to the front space so that the car that had been still filling up can easily leave the forecourt without having to drive around me...

Hope that makes sense...

Is she right?? I had never heard of this and cannot believe that I may have been annoying people for years. Please let her be wrong!

:mrgreen:
mad?

Post by mad? »

you are right, she is wrong. Where I live if you had not gone to the pump someoen from behind you in the queue would have hooted or just taken the pump - because otherwise the queue would got right round the block within minutes
mad?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I would also wait as otherwise the person on the pump cannot drive off until you are finished. Especially where there are two pumps on each side.

Mind you some men have 'beeped' me - I usually smile, wave back and ignore them :lol:
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

So, it's not a clear result so far.

They could drive around me, I would not do it if they couldn't.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

In that case if there was room for the person to drive off I would drive round but there aren't any pumps like that around here!
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

You are right as normally there is enough space for the car behind to get through. If not it depends how far into filling they are and how much you need to fill your car, I suppose. Anyway, I always pull into the space but what is not etiquette is when someone behind pulls into a space and jumps the queue! :x
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

I'm feeling quite smug now as my twin was SO sure that I had done something really terrible!

Heh heh heh.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

If there's room for you to get past to the pump in front there's room for them to get past you when they've finished.

Some people have some very weird ideas about forecourt etiquette. I was once second in the queue behind someone who was ignoring a pump because it was the "wrong side" for their car. Since it was the right side for mine I pulled round them, at which the person who was third in the queue beeped me, got out of his car and came over to harangue me for my bad behaviour - apparently I should have waited for the person at the front to see a pump they liked before going for the vacant one or some such. The lesson was ruined by the person who was first in the queue coming over to tell him not to be such a moron... :roll:

Mike
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

There's etiquette at petrol stations? :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously, before I got myself a toyboy to fill my car for me, it all depended if I was in a hurry or not.

If I could afford the time to wait, I would wait until the car in front had finished and pulled away, and then drive into the furthest away empty space, leaving a space behind for the next person in the queue.

If I was in a hurry, I'd get out and cry until a nice man came and did it for me :lol: :lol: :lol:
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I would have done the same mike - harass you, I mean! Only joking! :lol: some people have nothing better to do than moan at others. Gosh, in this day and age I wouldn't say boo to a goose outside for fear of my own safety. Of course I am fierce when hiding behind my pc screen! ;)

Ed's mum. Are you very competitve with your twinny? Just curious! :lol:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now