What does your child want to be when they 'grow up'?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Dawn

Post by Dawn »

DS (Yr 7) wants to be a professional footballer or rugby player (we have an agreement that he doesn't have to go to Uni if he has signed a contract by 18, when he was 8 he thought that it was guaranteed, now he is talking about which Uni's he might like to go to, such a young age to be a realist :? ) If the professional sportsman doesn't work out he wants a career in Sports Science or IT.

DD (Yr 3) is adamant that she is going to be a forensic scientist!! She has been through the pop star, Hollywood actress phase, but now she is 8 she has clearly grown out of the fantasy jobs and has decided it is time to knuckle down and get back to reality!! I am sure I still wanted to be a pop star/ model/ fashion designer etc until well in to my 30's :D , they really do grow up so quick these days!!!! :D
coolmum123

Post by coolmum123 »

This is a brilliant thread!!!

DS (11) wants to be an IT person, a detective :shock: (he can't stand gore so not sure how that would work out!!) a writer / journalist.

DD (nearly 5) wants to be a princess, a fairy or a doctor! She has already explained to me how a heart works so looking promising!! :D

I wanted to be a barrister (till I realised how many boring thick books you needed to memorise! :D Then wanted to do something to do with money and ended up in Investment Banking (shh!!) have benn mulling over a career change and thought about teaching and after a lot of soul searching have decided I'm not really a patient person :lol: so it's back to the finace sector but not investment banking (no jobs ofr a start!!!! lol!!)
Susan

Post by Susan »

Coolmum - has your DS heard of Forensic Computing? There are degree courses which focus on this area - very popular at the moment.

I found this description http://www.connexions-direct.com/Jobs4u ... tentID=718

and this course

http://kingston.ac.uk/cybersecurity/

Susan
coolmum123

Post by coolmum123 »

Hi Susan,

Gosh that does tick all his boxes doesn't it? :shock: I will show him this when he comes home from school!!
Susan

Post by Susan »

Coolmum

Glad you think so too :D Lets hope he shares our enthusiasm!

Susan
luckydip

Post by luckydip »

Recently I was at a Parents evening with my son (Y3). His teacher asked him what he wanted to do when he was older. He said that he wanted to be a mathematician. So she asked him what I did for a living? Well my dad works in the city during the week and sometimes works a locum pharmacist during the weekends.

Wouldn't you like to become a pharmacist/doctor?

"Well, I would have to work out how much you earn and the number of hours you would have to work. I would like to earn the maximum money for doing the smallest number of hours". :lol:
coolmum123

Post by coolmum123 »

:shock:
LuckyDip, you DS has it well and truly sussed!!! :lol:
sp

Post by sp »

When he was young my brother (now 50!!) wanted to be a vicar so he would only have to work on Sundays!!
dadofkent

Post by dadofkent »

sp wrote:When he was young my brother (now 50!!) wanted to be a vicar so he would only have to work on Sundays!!
A friend of mine at school wanted to be a snow-plough driver. Even shorter hours.
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

For many years my middle daughter wanted to be " a pink, sparkly heart".Now she is 11 she realises those are the first posts to go in a recession.She wants to teach instead now.

Eldest wanted to be a mermaid until 8 who would "jump out of the water" to see us from time to time.Now wants to be a doctor - not much connection between the two.

Little one of four wants to be a fairy.

All a bit girly - girly in our household, must have done too much gender stereotyping or something :oops: