Secondary School Rules

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

This may be a case of going to your MP; extreme, yes, but atleast DS is not getting conflicting morals.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

tricky about the example you are setting of breaking the rules, but reckon that sometimes kids have to know that the parents have thought this through carefully and have made a decision and as far as the school is concerned it is "what the eye don't see the heart don't grieve about".

I know rules are rules but they have to be sensible, and after you all you are responsible for DS when he is out of school and on the way home - not the school.
- I am sure that this rule is to stop txting in lessons etc, as far as hiding things in bags goes happens all the time - mothers of daughters have to hide essential "never to be produced" items in the bottoms of bags .
KES Parent

Post by KES Parent »

Looking for help wrote:But what sort of example is this to be showing a child - break the rules if you don't like them ? :shock:
You won't be surprised to hear that all my DCs have adored being part of a conspiracy against authority. :oops: You have to teach them to do the right thing, not to follow orders unquestioningly, so don't worry about it. In this case I would say the right thing was providing reassurance and a way of contacting you in an emergency.
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

Thanks all for your help with this.

You've cheered me up no end - we are going to be like the bad guys :evil:

Actually, I bet they'll all have stowaway phones in every pocket and bag and locker :lol:
LFH
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

This is ridiculous - I agree with other posters that your son will just have to hide one in his bag/locker, though it's a shame he has to start out breaking the rules. I wonder if it's worth writing to the Chair of Governors to ask if the policy re moble phones can be revised? Might help if you could mention the names of a few other schools that do permit them.

My sons' GS allows them because they acknowledge that children need them when they are travelling long distances. Both mine keep theirs in their blazer pockets, switched off (following an incident where eldest DS's mobile went off in a lesson resulting in a detention) and, as far as I know, students aren't merrily texting each other during lessons.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Looking for help wrote: Actually, I bet they'll all have stowaway phones in every pocket and bag and locker :lol:
LFH
LFH - I am quite sure he won't be the only one!!!!
sp

Post by sp »

Have you spoken to children in the years above him? You'll probably find that the vast majority have silent phones with them but for emergencies only.
Writing to Chair of Governors would draw attention to the matter and the Governors may have made the policy so perhaps not a good idea.
At DS's school the boys are not allowed to have phones switched on at school so most are on silent. At least then you can text him re change of after school plans etc. Just drum into him the importance of keeping it on silent or off !!
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

Thanks everyone for your replies. I can see very few schools operate this kind of policy.
I have texted my older daughter today to wish her good luck in her exam - and she will be able to put me out of my misery later at lunch time by letting me know how it went. This doesn't seem to cause her school a problem, as they recongnise that children have to travel quite far to get there and their parents need to know they're ok :D

I think I might write to the head of the new school to let her know that I intend to send my son with a mobile phone due to the travelling, and see how she responds - she may surprise me :o

Thanks again,
LFH
Freya

Post by Freya »

LFH: I wouldn't - they might still say no and then target him for attention. I'm with the rest - hide it, switched off!
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

I have to say I agree with the majority. I would send him to school with a mobile, hidden and switched off.

There are times we need to teach our children that adults are not always right. You can explain to him why the school has these rules but then tell him that you think his safety takes priority over those rules and that is the reason why, in this instance only, the rule needs to be broken.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now