Omega 3

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Omega 3 works but I give it to DS2 in fits and starts - often I realise when he's having a blip and I've forgotton he's not had it in 3 weeks! :roll:
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

There's no sound evidence that it makes any difference to someone with good nutrition and reasonable mental health. But there's sound evidence that it won't do any harm, so there's nothing to lose.

Mike
zee

Post by zee »

Villagedad wrote: I'm not aware of the Durham trials.. Would be useful to know this if you have a minute :)
No, it wouldn't. That's the point. :lol:

A manufacturer has supplied omega 3 to Durham education authority and in schools where pupils have been given something extra (i.e. free omega 3) and improvements are expected... things have improved.

Read Ben Goldacre's excellent Bad Science (book on Amazon) or website article: http://www.badscience.net/2008/09/dave- ... ist-again/ for details of why it's not a "trial" in any meaningful, scientific sense.

But as I said, that doesn't mean there's any proof it doesn't work, so why not try it anyway (give it a couple of months minimum)?
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

T.i.p.s.y wrote:Omega 3 works but I give it to DS2 in fits and starts - and I've forgotton he's not had it in 3 weeks! :roll:
perhaps you need some :wink:
Milla

Post by Milla »

here's a link to some stuff about the Durham trials - in too much haste to read now
http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2006/ ... nce.uknews
long chain polyunsaturated fatty acids are linked to brain / eye development (vision, concentration, memory etc) the brand we may not name claims to ensure your intake of these, EPA, DHA, GLA (not a scientist, Google is your friend here) and supplement any shortfall in diet.
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

Villagedad,

I only ever buy the 'offers', normally they are on 3 for 2 at the bottom slapping supermarket - it's their own brand. :wink:

They are supposed to work but need a while to work. I noticed an improvement within 3 months I guess.

I wouldn't pin too much on this but at the time we needed all the help we could get. DD had been receiving about 6 months of once a week tutoring (not 11+) when she started taking the omega.

I would say every little helps but we didn't buy it there! :lol:
honscupboard

Post by honscupboard »

We use it combined with all the other vits - not sure if it works but it salves my conscience and if it helps boosting immune systems it is all to the good - dont you just dread them falling ill just before they sit exams .......!
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

I know a child who is reception-aged. His behaviour is appalling. Much, much worse than any other child in our school. Fidgety, unable to calm down etc etc.

His mother started to give him Omega 3 tablets. They are quite a poor family and sometimes have to stop giving the tablets to him through lack of funds. His teacher KNOWS when this child has stopped taking the tablets, due to the decline in his behaviour. We call them his 'good boy tablets'!!
zorro

Post by zorro »

Sounds like ADHD. which responds to Omega 3.
My DD has ADD without the hyperactivity and it really helped with concentration and sleep patterns. We used the same brand as in the Durham trials - it's very pure although it is more expensive than own brands.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

We use a version called Omega 3+6+9 which is supposed to be for adults but the ingredients are very similar. It is from a supermarket and can be bought in big tubs and is a fraction of the price of the very expensive ones.