Go to navigation
It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:14 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Bad exam result
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:02 pm 

My son recently did very badly in a school english exam. I have asked the school to let me have a copy of his paper but they have told me they have a policy of not handing them out to parents. I think this is because they use the same exam each year and don't want pupils to get hold of past papers. I would like to see the exam so that I can work through it with my son and get some understanding as to why it went so badly. Am I entitled to see the paper under the Data protection act?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:06 pm 

could you maybe ask where he had problems on the paper because you want to help him improve in those areas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:52 pm 

Or you could leave it to the school?

Post subject: Re: Bad exam result
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:15 pm 
JP wrote:
My son recently did very badly in a school english exam. I have asked the school to let me have a copy of his paper but they have told me they have a policy of not handing them out to parents. I think this is because they use the same exam each year and don't want pupils to get hold of past papers. I would like to see the exam so that I can work through it with my son and get some understanding as to why it went so badly. Am I entitled to see the paper under the Data protection act?

I think you mean the Freedom of Information Act. If it is an independent school then the answer is no, as they are exempt from the Act. If it is a state school, unfortunately the answer is probably not, as they no doubt have a good reason for not releasing it which would be acceptable to the Information Commissioner. Requesting information under the Act is also a surefire way to antagonise the school. What I think I would do, if your son doesn't understand where he went wrong, is to ask his teacher to spend a bit of time with him going through it so he can find out what they expected, or depending on his age for him to ask his teacher himself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:21 pm 

Exam papers are exempt from both FOI and DPA, but you can ask for a copy of any comments which may have been written on or about it.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:15 pm 

Or the school may be happy to let you look through the paper in the presence of a teacher.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:02 pm 

Or you could leave it to the school.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:12 pm 

No one is more interested in a child's education than the parent, and as a teacher once said to me, if you don't fight for your child, who will? No school is perfect, and no teacher has limitless time. I reckon a concerned parent is entitled to investigate where a child might be going wrong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:20 pm 

Y - absolutely. I expressed some concerns to one of the deputy heads at my sons' GS a few weeks ago. It was to do with a lack of marking in one particular subject and I mentioned it to him with my, "don't want to make a fuss or appear difficult..." hat on. He said that as soon as I'd begun to be concerned I should have rung the school and asked to speak to the relevant teacher - as a parent himself he said he would always do that and never ignore something he wasn't happy with.