medicine 'feminised'

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
KES Parent

Post by KES Parent »

KES Parent wrote:Medicine is no longer the prestigious career it was even a generation ago. As has long been the case in Russia, for example, where it has always been a predominantly female profession, it is rapidly losing its cachet here. I would be much more impressed with a student who had thoughtfully chosen a career such as physiotherapy or speech therapy than by one who had been brainwashed by their family into becoming a doctor. A lot of boys who might once have gone into medicine no longer consider it because the profession has become part time and feminised. Surgery, which does require stamina and long years of hard work, is one of the few specialties that still appeals to them.
Edited to say this is not a random rant on my part - I was responding to a poster on another thread who wondered why Physiotherapy requires pretty much the same A2 grades as Medicine.
zorro

Post by zorro »

Chelmsford mum,
I'm a nurse - I would love a job like the Tesco clinic one you mentioned.If you ever set it up give me a shout! :lol:
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

It was Magwich's idea.I will leave the setting up to her/him (sorry Magwich).I will just come to the opening and take some of the credit! :lol:

Out of interest - Do you agree that you could do a large part of a GPs job?
zorro

Post by zorro »

Most definitely - including prescribing common medication.
But of course not diagnoses.
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

I am very surprised at how this thread has evolved - I was merely commenting on the grades required for Physiotherapy appearing very high, almost comparable with Medicine.
I do still believe that Medicine is a worthy career, I think part time work and career breaks are to be commended as part of a positive work/life balance ethos, and although doctors have a lot of bureaucracy to wade through |(same as all professional people, really), they do still strive to provide effective health service.

I think today we are all computer literate and can self diagnose because of the internet, so we feel able to challenge the doctor's position, and this more than a feminisation of the profession causes dissatisfaction with the health service in general.

I stil do not understand why there is such discrepancy between the grades required for say Physiotherapy, and Speech Therapy etc and Nursing, surely it should be as hard to enter the Nursing profession then?

LFH
Igglepiggle

Post by Igglepiggle »

My penny worth in favour of those money-wasting part-time female GPs.

During the first couple of years of motherhood, I seemed to require the services of my GP frequently due to childhood ailments and child-bearing related conditions of my own. My GP at the time was part-time with toddlers of her own and was an absolute rock partly because she's a fantastic GP, but also because as a young Mum, she could empathise totally with problems I was experiencing. A full-time male doctor just wouldn't have done it for me at that time. And plenty of others feel the same, as you do have to wait WEEKS to get an appointment with her (some of the male full-timers are much less in demand).

Hopefully your friend's daughter, KES parent, gave just as much in her part-time hours, and wasn't such a waste of public money.
KES Parent

Post by KES Parent »

Igglepiggle wrote: Hopefully your friend's daughter, KES parent, gave just as much in her part-time hours, and wasn't such a waste of public money.
Actually, I'm not sure she's even managed part-time yet. Let's hope she hasn't forgotten everything by the time she gets round to starting work. :roll:
Igglepiggle

Post by Igglepiggle »

That's different then, probably making her "career break" last as long as possible - I was pretty good at that too.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now