Working hours

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

rachag wrote:As far a GP's are concerned, yes they do work hard, long hours, increasing demands etc. There is however vast variation in their jobs and remuneration. May be full or part time, may be partners heavily involved in running the business side, management, planning contracts etc. May be salaried in a practice, rather than partner and may not have these responsibilties.

Even if working part time, surgeries are very intense and demanding as far as I am concerned.
I take it from your informed posts that you have some medical training? (may be wrong)
So would you dissuade a child from pursuing medicine because of all the reasons in the other thread about its low status and poor use of expertise? I ask because my eldest(unlike mum) is very keen on science and all related areas.I don't pretend to know anything about the profession but she toys with the idea from time to time.
The other thread ( "medicine feminised" etc) surprised me in the strength of feeling against the profession.I am a teacher( of English) and know what it is to work in a profession constantly derided and misunderstood.
I have always had a great deal of respect for doctors but maybe times have changed?
rachag

Post by rachag »

No I would not dissuade my children from medical profession. I can safely say that I have not had any regrets about becoming a doc, and nor have most of my friends or colleagues. Fulfilling, varied, emotionally and intellectually satisfying. In fact, I would say it is a real privilege to do this work. Not however for everyone so, like other professions, not to be foisted on children.
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

Thanks, good to hear some positives :)
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Medicine and teaching have the same drawback, those who are good at their job manage to make it seem so easy, you don't notice the 9/10ths of the iceberg below the surface
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

How could I possibly disagree with that? :lol:
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Yup! I agree too!!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now