Mobile phones

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

At our welcome evening last week, the head of lower school was refreshingly in favour of mobile 'phones, admitting it was a necessity for their pupils (a large majority live in rural areas). In saying that, they also made it quite clear that phones were to be turned off during lessons! iPods etc were also acknowledged as being of use on long bus journeys :lol:

DD's 'phone is a 'top notch' one and we discussed the situation, agreeing another 'phone would be needed.

We have two old 'phones in the house which no-one uses, will she consider using them? No way!!! Methinks this young lady is going to be in for quite a shock if she thinks I'm buying anything near what she currently has.

It's going to be a completely basic phone or nothing!
zorro

Post by zorro »

Don't let her take a "top notch" phone to school. DS had an ipod touch (£250) which he "lost" at school - he was distraught as were we! :(
He is currently begging us for an Apple iphone!! (£400) :roll: The problem is lots of his friends have them (or Blackberries).
However this is one piece of peer pressure we won't be bowing to!!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

had a look at carphonewarehouse (not adevrtising just happend to be down the road....)

There are 3 PAYG I spotted:

Samsung e250 in black or lilac (lilac has kept DD happy for quite some time) - 29 quid + top up. (inc MP3 player and camera)

also Sony Ericson z320i (19 quid) and sony ericson w350i - all look OK with cameras etc
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Don't worry - she definitely WON'T be taking her good 'phone to school with her, even she says that! :lol:
Demon Pixie

Post by Demon Pixie »

My DD finds spending my money very,very easy and is much more careful with her own. :roll:

If I topped up her phone every month, every last penny of the credit I put on would be used up. I prefer to give her the money so she can make the decision about whether to spend it just on the phone, or whether some can be put towards something else instead.

OK so the something else may be a trashy magazine or yet another nail varnish, but at least she is thinking about how much she is spending and what she is spending it on (and I'm not pestered for money for the aforementioned items!)
overpeck

Post by overpeck »

I agree with you demon pixie my 15 yr old daughter has a pay as you go which she tops up with her own pocket money. She gets £20 a month from her grandmother and does a fortnightly paper round where she earns £16. She has nagged for a contract but I have refused. I ve told her she can do this when she is older and can pay for it herself. I also have a daughter who is 10 and she is getting a phone for her 11th bd in preperation for going to secondary school in September it will also be pay as you go and I will expect her to top it up from her pocket money. She has chosen the one she wants it is an Orange own make vegas I think with phone touch screen approx £50 with camera she was more than happy to stay within the £50 budget for a first phone. I think it is less likely any one will bother to steal a £50 phone when kids are walking around with phones worth ££££££
andyb

Post by andyb »

We jokingly said to DS that any phone he got would be pink because a) he's going to an all boys school so nobody would want to nick it and b) he would be so embarrassed to use it it would have to be a real emergency.

Unfortunately his reply was "that would be sooooo coooool!" :roll:

Individuality is so overrated :?
Freya

Post by Freya »

I blame French rugby! LOL

ImageImage
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

My oh would rather have his eyes gouged out than wear something like that ! :shock: :shock: :shock: :lol:
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

Freya, you’ve got to be pretty good to wear shirts like that (there was an even worse one last season) – fortunately for them Stade Francais are!

DS is more likely to wear pink than DD! Andy, that would be DS’s reaction too and he’s at an all-boys GS…
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now