Go to navigation
It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:46 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Swine flu...?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:35 pm 

... nasty sore throat coming on, v. busy weekend, wondering how I'm going to get through it and now panicking. Does anyone know what symptoms to expect? :? :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:39 pm 

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Pandemic-flu/Pages/QA.aspx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:40 pm 

Locally, people have said that it is mild and it has been described as 'gastric' by a local doctor who has seen some cases. Apparently, if you have more severe symptoms then it IS NOT swine flu. Don't know how true that is, that bit was relayed to me by someone else.

Get well soon x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:45 pm 

Flu is flu - even swine flu ! You feel grotty and achey and have a fever >38 (impossible to tell without a thermometer - no good saying they feel hot to th touch!) - also cough and sore throat. Far worse than a cold.

Some with swine flu are getting D&V too, not seen in the usual seasonal flu.

Ho ho - I woke at 0200 while doing a night shift with sore throat / cough / runny nose ... help I thought Swine Flu!!!! But no fever so just a stinky cold - much croaking down the phone to patients for the rest of the night!! - glad to get to bed in the morning

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:05 pm 
Just to add, if you have a very high temperature then you often feel very chilly not hot, although others will be able to see that you are "burning up".

Post subject: Re: Swine flu...?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:09 pm 
Marylou wrote:
... nasty sore throat coming on, v. busy weekend, wondering how I'm going to get through it and now panicking. Does anyone know what symptoms to expect? :? :(

I seem to remember the recent outbreak of swine flu (in the UK at least) happened right at the time when pupils were beginning or had just begun taking their public exams e.g. GCSE's and A-levels.

Some schools were shut, e.g. Eton College closed for an extra week in an attempt to control the disease and pupils had missed part(s) of their examinations. Anyone knows what becomes of their result?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:10 pm 

Herman? My husband has temp of 39.2 and feels fluey. What do we do now? He has a chronic condition and is on immunosuppressants (sic?)
I shall assume we should seek advice. I know he should not go to docs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:18 pm 
Must get this seen to asap Ed's mum especially as he has a chronic condition. If he gets worse tonight you should take him to A&E but must see doc tomorrow. Obviously this is not the case for a healthy person with these symptoms. Hope he feels well soon! :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:25 pm 

Read the Q & A I posted - I think you should NOT take him to the doctors - phone instead.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:30 pm 

Don't worry, I know we shouldn't go to the GPs surgery. According to the NHS Direct website we should be calling a doc urgently. Husband thinks he knows better of course!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next