Go to navigation
It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:17 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Body Odour - sorry
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:26 am 
Just cuddling my 10 year old (11 at end of October) and he has got armpit BO! :shock: I feel very sad as this must be an indication of my baby growing up. Is it normal for boys to get BO at age 10 and how fast will the other changes now start to happen? :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:46 am 

Certainly for the last 18 months my daughter has been using deodorant out of necessity.

She knows to shower every day and change her blouse every day too.

They had their 'health education' lesson the other week and from that we know some of the children are only bathing once a week :shock:

I noticed a couple of years ago, during the school play when the 'actors' mingled amongst the crowd during one scene, that some the senior pupils were in need of a good wash/deodorant/clean clothes.

The problem with them though, like everything else at this age, is getting them into the routine of doing it and them understanding WHY they need to do it - and it's not just us nagging at them like everything else. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:00 pm 

The odour bit can come at any time and isn't particularly related to a stage of puberty. Just have to head for the smellies dept in Superdrug or wherever and let them have a go ...... Lynx for Men seems to be the current fave.

The stages of puberty per se are described as the Tanner scores / stages of puberty. try Googling or patient.co.uk has a good section on it.

Main thing is that there are huge ranges and sometimes shorter or longer gaps in the stages. Key thing to look for is accelaration in growth (hands first then the rest of the body) - cos it probably means it is all about to happen :wink: :roll: :oops: :roll: :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:01 pm 

after teaching year 5 and 6 in mobile classrooms in the Summer I can confirm they most certainly do!

They mature at different rates. Master yoyo had hairy legs and a deep voice when some of his friends were still squeaking and were about a foot shorter. A friend of mine had a beard at 15 ()it was a boy....)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:04 pm 
yoyo123 wrote:
after teaching year 5 and 6 in mobile classrooms in the Summer I can confirm they most certainly do!

They mature at different rates. Master yoyo had hairy legs and a deep voice when some of his friends were still squeaking and were about a foot shorter. A friend of mine had a beard at 15 ()it was a boy....)

:lol:

Still depressed though! :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:35 pm 

my son is now a good six inches taller than me, communicates only in grunts, and has feet which seem to take up at least half the room. I have a feeling that this alien may have eaten my lovely little boy in one of its raids on the fridge.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:44 pm 
This is not making me feel better yoyo! :( He's actually just got to the perfect stage. He is so loving, complient and beautiful looking (peachy soft blemish-free skin). I wish I could freeze time right now.

By the way, OH is chuffed! :evil:

I'm off to check the size of his feet! :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:44 pm 

I know the feeling yoyo, but they are lovely aren't they.?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:49 pm 

especially when they are asleep!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:56 pm 

Having been at a girls' boarding school, I only knew about boys' puberty in theory.

What surprised me was how sudden puberty was with my elder son (don't know about younger yet). I didn't have time to grieve (melodramatic word, but I can't think of an alternative) for the loss of my little boy! Fortunately the big boy is (generally), pretty nice too - so far!

In the space of a few weeks early in year 7, he shot up a few inches, voice broke, skin and hair changed, whole jawline totally changed shape (I wasn't expecting that), sleep patterns totally changed, BO etc etc. But since then, any further changes (including height) have only been gradual and minor.