Go to navigation
It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:12 am

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:03 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:47 am
Posts: 3310
Location: Warwickshire.
I just wanted to share something with you which has just happened to me.

I've been in bed all morning with a temp of 39. Yes, I probably have swine 'flu. When my husband bought our thermometer he chose, for financial reasons, a mercury one.

I dropped it this morning.

I have had to wear a mask and collect up the mercury wearing rubber gloves. I have had to ventilate the bedroom, and will continue to leave the window open for 48 hours. I have had to cut away a section of carpet (a large section). I have had to seal up all of what I am getting rid of. I cannot put any sort of heater into the room - something about evaporation of mercury. The list of the implications of this, goes on and on.

I cannot belive I allowed a mercury thermometer into my house - all because we went for the cheap option. I am shaking like a leaf because of this and cannot 100% guarantee that I did not drop mercury as I ran like a mad thing out of the house with the broken thermometer.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not put your health at risk by buying one of these things. And NEVER let a child use one in case they bite it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:54 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:21 am
Posts: 2125
OMG what an ordeal!

Thanks for the timely warning - hope it's all OK for you and that you feel better soon.

ML

P.S. Edited to add - I never realized these things were so dangerous. your post prompted me to find out more: http://www.noharm.org/library/docs/Merc ... Health.htm

Amazing to think that this stuff is still being used in dental fillings! :shock:

_________________
Marylou


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:36 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:02 pm
Posts: 662
Location: Herts
What a nightmare - hope you feel a bit better now (both from the shock & your swine flu!).

T x


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:45 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:51 am
Posts: 8113
Hi Ed's mum

sorry to hear about the flu (and the thermometer) hope you are better soon!

Amazing to think how we used to play with mercury at school.....mmm seem to have survived so far!! I use an ear thermometer - easier to catch children to take the temp quickly, however if they are that mobile they are rarely particularly ill..! :wink:

Just out of interest in my epidemioogical study - what was the gap between you and OH getting ill...

(just curious after getting coughed all over by a flu laden child yesterday....)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:52 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:21 am
Posts: 2125
hermanmunster wrote:
Amazing to think how we used to play with mercury at school


Yes, I remembered that too on reading the OP but thought it must be my memory playing tricks on me. Kind of little silvery balls that seemed to do their own thing - fascinating! (And very dangerous, as we now know.) :(

We've got a thermometer with a digital display that speaks your temperature in a disembodied voice with a peculiar accent. A bit pricey but the kids love it and we never have trouble getting them to sit still!

"Coughed over" - how horrid - the things you medics must have to put up with in the line of duty... :o

_________________
Marylou


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:54 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:51 am
Posts: 8113
at least mum didn't bring in the siblings too!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:08 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:47 am
Posts: 3310
Location: Warwickshire.
Dear Hermie,

Not 100% convinced that I do have swine flu. Definitely SOMETHING going on but unsure what. But, if it is SF, it has been 7 days.

Love Ed's Mum x


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:24 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:25 pm
Posts: 2556
oh dear, I used to play with it for hours, joining it up until it went all fluffy and gritty and exhausted and didn't work any more. Off to look at that site and freak myself out over something new. Like I didn't have enough already. AND I'm meant to be looking for the remote control, not scaring self.
PS Get Well Soon, Ed's Mum!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:14 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:31 pm
Posts: 1192
Ed's mum wrote:
with a temp of 39


Sounds like Clanger Flu.

_________________
Animis opibusque parati


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:18 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:47 am
Posts: 3310
Location: Warwickshire.
:mrgreen:


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
CALL 020 8204 5060
   
Privacy Policy | Refund Policy | Disclaimer | Copyright © 2004 – 2016