DS is out to bankrupt me!

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Yes, perhaps they do!!!!!
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

I wish my son would be interested in cricket or ANY sport.

He is still in his pyjamas and complaining of having a (slight) cold. My sympathy is wearing a bit thin now!

We live in a tiny village and we have to drive everywhere to take advantage of summer activities.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Master yoyo appeared briefly at about 1 o'clock but has retreated back into the lair. I don;t think he would move fast enough (or be able to summon up the will) to catch anything let alone a cold!
dadofkent

Post by dadofkent »

Burneth wrote:
Ed's mum wrote:
My children, Ed in particular, would spend ALL day in his bedroom with the door shut, loud music on and possibly his games console too. He is coming to the end of his 3rd week and that is pretty much all he has done.
...and I thought it was just my 12 year old that was doing that! I get the impression that Year 7 took a bit out of him and he is quite happy to chill for the foreseeable future!
I think it is a standard Yr7 boy condition. We are presently taking medical advice on how we can safely reintroduce DS to sunlight and air wih a 20% oxygen content.
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Dadofkent and Yoyo you have made me chuckle!! Boys of this age are a funny species indeed! In fairness to Ed though, he loves my homemade vegetable soup and he tends to snack on fruit rather than junk food - so he's not without some good features.
surreymum

Post by surreymum »

Probably too late for this year, but anyone near London there is the "summer uni"

http://www.summerunilondon.org/

which has free activities across the London boroughs which are really varied and two of mine have booked onto week long courses later in the summer.
sallyj

Post by sallyj »

The free swimming is actually very over-rated :(
If you can actually get into the building,the changing rooms are heaving.You then have to wait ages-over an hour some sessions- to be allowed into the pool, & then face a not so fun filled time surrounded by little hoodlums whose parents sent them unsupervised !!
This isn't just a holiday happening either. Weekends & evenings have been hateful since it was introduced. The local paper has carried letters from very disgruntled adults & families alike,who find swimming no longer holds any appeal :cry:
Sorry to gripe. The idea of free swimming is fab,but the reality without massive funding on pools & staff is grim.
moved

Post by moved »

Mine have been baking (miserable mother will not buy junk), reading (8 books in a week), dog walking (we rescued a 2nd bouncy one this week).

We don't usually venture to the cinema as it costs a fortune, but I was recently told about the cinema on Canvey Island (only useful to those in Essex) that is really cheap and apparently clean.

Southend do free swimming, but we haven't tried it as they swim anyway. Athletics club still runs throughout the summer and is excellent value. We declined the G&T athletics course as DD felt that she had enough to do (reading incessantly I suspect). Pleased we did anyway as she has now broken her toe.

DS has been given a lot of French holiday homework in preparation for his GCSE and has also been asked to revise his Latin. He is struggling to find the time for this and music practice.

I suspect that my giving them chores if they seem unoccupied has made them find things to do.
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

The chores option is an extremely sensible one I think Moving.

Ed ended up vacuuming the whole of the downstairs yesterday, vacuuming my car and brushing the dog. He soon stopped the backchat and found something to do.

As for Ed's sister, she had her nose in a book, did lots of art, cleaned out her rat's cage and watched Hairspray yet again. The sight of John Travlota as a large lady physically repulses me!
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

moving wrote:We don't usually venture to the cinema as it costs a fortune, but I was recently told about the cinema on Canvey Island (only useful to those in Essex) that is really cheap and apparently clean.
Braintree cinema has films for just over a pound on Sat mornings.For an extra 50p you can book online which avoids queues. 8)