PTA's and All That

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Snowdrops

PTA's and All That

Post by Snowdrops »

Having just read an article in today's Mail, has reminded me we need to make a decision regarding the PTA and dd's new school.

In her last school I never joined in the PTA, knowing what it's like when a gang of women get together. I have though, always joined in with all requests for transport to local venues from the school, requests of help within the classroom from the school, volunteered to be a dinner lady for a year and then moved in to be an unpaid ta. As well as attending all plays, concerts, parents' evenings and parent assemblies.

I know when dd goes to her new school in September these opportunities won't arise. so I am seriously debating about joining the PTA as a way of having more/personal contact with the school (despite my better judgement from experience over many, many years!).

How is everyone else planning on keeping that 'personal' contact going (without the teachers feeling that are being hounded/harassed/stalked :lol: )

The link is here - recognise a little bit of yourself? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/artic ... thers.html
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

In her last school I never joined in the PTA, knowing what it's like when a gang of women get together.
How insulting is that?!

Our Primary PTA was a mixture of genders - I felt it was important to be involved to be seen as a 'mum' not just a teacher at a GS (ie possible threat as she might know more than we do)

At Secondary I help at Fetes etc but I have not joined the PTA - staff are very approachable and happy to be e-mailed.
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Crying at school concerts, yes. A mild flirtation with one particular teacher, yes. That's about it I think!
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

You just can't help yourself can you!!!!

OK, time to call it a day.

It's been great knowing you most of you, but I can do without this sort of harrassment.

Guest 55 seems to be stalking me today, obviously hasn't got anyone else to pick on.

Bye.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Sorry - you insult women and then accuse me of stalking you?!?

You see insults where there are none ...
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

You are so far beneath my contempt, I shall not answer any more of your remarks.
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Take a deep breath everybody.
Oh, look out the window...is it raining AGAIN?

I was on the PTA for a few years when both mine were at primary. It's a huge benefit to the school and raises much needed funds for our children - it's difficult when you're working too, but worth it.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Yes Ed's mum - it was worth it as Primary schools run on a shoestring compared to Secondaries.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

as Ed's mum suggested let's take a deep breath.

It is very easy to read the wrong meaning into something that someone has posted, after all a large proportion of understanding language is body language and expression and we have the benefit of neither here (a smiley just doesn;t say it properly).

yoyo
mod
raceytracey

Post by raceytracey »

I think this is an interesting subject snowdrop and yes I do know what you mean about groups of women!!!

At my DD's new school they dont even have a P.A so not sure how I am going to be able to take part in the schools activities.

As a working mum I didnt always have the time to help out at the primary school but tried to as much as possible. However the thought of joining the p.a filled me with dread. All those clicky mums er no thank you!!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now