Help! What can I do with my one armed son?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Just1-2go

Help! What can I do with my one armed son?

Post by Just1-2go »

My 11 year old has broken his collar bone and is in a sling for the next 6 weeks. He is very frustrated, can't practise his drums, missing a rugby training camp, can't ride his bike. :(

Has anyone any ideas what I can do with him that doesn't involve screens?
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Table tennis - and you don't need to spend loads to do it.

We used to use our dining room table and the whole family joined in - great fun!!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Is it his writing arm that is out of action? If so then drawing, designing is out of the 'picture' -

Board games? The whole family can play.

Reading? You can manage with one arm.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

I hesitate to suggest skateboarding, it could result in the other arm being in a cast :(
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

it is a screen I suppose, but cinema?
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Poor him - what awful timing! Judging from a friend's recent experience he will probably be coping without the sling in 2 - 3 weeks though, although most sports will still be out of the question.

Perhaps you could teach him to cook? Most recipes can be made with only one hand, even if it is a little slower, and you would need to help out anyway. Once he has the use of both hands he will know what to do and probably be delighted at how much quicker it is then.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Check out the local museums, our sometimes have special 'things' on during the holidays, bit like a treasure trail, but using history/exhibitions.
rosered100

Post by rosered100 »

He could take up geocaching. See www.geocaching.com for any near you - just put your postcode in.

A cheap gps can be bought from ebay or some mobiles have them in now - not sure if a car one is accurate enough?

It's a high tech treasure hunt & he could plant some of his own & make up clues.
It's very addictive once you start & also can be quite educational - some are planted in art galleries & museums or places of historic interest that you maybe walk past every day without noticing.
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Really sorry for your poor son.

That has got to be THE funniest title for a thread that I have ever read though!!! Initially it did make me shudder as I feared the worst, but at least it's temporary.

Table tennis sounds like a fun idea as does the geocaching - in fact I'm sure that all of the ideas will keep him amused for a while. I imagine he will get quite frustrated though.

A few years ago (2 or 3) I fell and ended up with my thumb and lower arm in plaster. Within 48 hours I was so fed up with the disability, and not being able to drive, that I sawed it off in frustration. I was like a mad woman!

Good luck to him for the next few weeks. Plenty of things to keep him busy are probably needed.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

When I was about 13 I lived in Cyprus.

Whilst running across the school playground to a PE lesson my long hair got caught in the cardigan button of the girl in front.

I fell face forward, both arms out, smack into the tarmaced playground.

One broken arm later, in the full heat of summer I was one fed up young lady!

I learnt to swim on my back in the sea with one arm raised out of the water.

It's amazing what you can do when you have to! :lol: