HPV immunisation

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
hermanmunster

Re: HPV

Post by hermanmunster »

resmum wrote:The vaccine that protects against genital warts is NOT the vaccine being offered in the UK. That is called Gardasil and is the vaccine currently being offered in the US.
quite - didn't want to name names on this but not surprisingly the medical press has been quite lively on the choice of vaccine in the UK - phil hammond has been one of the most outspoken

re side effects - I agree sore arm was the only thing. I am hopeless over the kids imms and DD only had her MMR at age 11 - she was far worse with rubella arthritis after that
SunlampVexesEel

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

Chelmsford mum wrote:No vaccine is without risk but this has to be weighed up against the risks associated with hpv.
We have decided not to do this in Yr8. From my view the statistical risk of hpv is VERY low. I'm not convinced by the numbers behind this campaign.... will wait for more evidence as to the risks, if any, of the vaccine.

Only my 2p worth,
Regards
SVE
Animis opibusque parati
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Does anyone know how susceptible the young are today to cervical cancer than we (when I say we, I mean people in the age bracket of say, 16 - 25 year olds) were 20, 30 40 years ago?

Is cervical cancer a relatively new disease (akin to AIDS in it's newness) and therefore something which has only come to our attention in the past few years, or has it been around since time immemorial but, because of sleeping habits it is becoming more prevalent?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Snowdrops wrote:Does anyone know how susceptible the young are today to cervical cancer than we (when I say we, I mean people in the age bracket of say, 16 - 25 year olds) were 20, 30 40 years ago?

Is cervical cancer a relatively new disease (akin to AIDS in it's newness) and therefore something which has only come to our attention in the past few years, or has it been around since time immemorial but, because of sleeping habits it is becoming more prevalent?
Fortunately Ca Cervix itself is rare but the precursors are much more common - all are related to HPV infection which can be found in up to 26% of women aged 14-59 - highest in the 20-24 age band (approx 45% affected) - only some of these are the wart or cancer causing types of HPV and most women clear it from their bodies. It is trying to find which women DON't do this ... then we could target treatment better.

the epidemiology of ca cervix has changed over time, with each generation showing differing patterns. most complex story. Has always been around and tended to be older multiparous women. Now it tends to be younger women, Highest rates are in Africa and central and southern america.
This summary of the stats is quite good:
http://info.cancerresearchuk.org/cancer ... incidence/

doesn't make the decision vaccination any easier though.. always difficult for parents - partic when the window of opportunity is so small.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

It doesn't make it any easier does it!

Thanks for the info Herman, I don't know whether being a doctor makes it easier or harder for you yourself to have made the decision.

Who'd be a parent eh?
Schoolbaglady

Post by Schoolbaglady »

Yes, many thanks all of you for your input so far. I think we're inclining towards waiting for another year at this point, seems no immediate need to rush into this just yet. Think I might book an appointment with the family GP and get his take - happen to know he has daughters coming up to this milestone too.

It is a personal decision though - we all struggle to do the right, responsible thing for our children, on all fronts. Just wish we were a few more years down the line on this one and there was more long term research in the bank.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I am against many (not all) vaccines because the long-term effects are not known.There is now a direct link to certain cancers and the use of the pill (a drug you take when becoming sexually active - I wonder if this could be the cause of cervical cancer!) and HRT - of course the drug companies deny this but we know they are only in it for the money! Bowel cancer is also related to the use of vaccines and unsurprisingly the increase is directly correlated to the increase in vaccine. Although it is not related I have intensively studied mental health and a number of other illnesses and their relationships with drug companies. Some of the most famous companies "make-up" new mental illnesses to push or create certain drugs. :x It is wholly likely that this happens in more than one field of medicine.
Warks mum

Post by Warks mum »

Another question for hermanmunster or another of the very helpful GPs around here (hope you don't mind us picking your brains!).

My DD is also in the target group this year, though we haven't had the paperwork yet.

Does the vaccine only work against the sex -ually transmitted form of the disease or could our girls get this form of cervical cancer another way? If your daughter became a nun would she need the vaccine?!
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

Warks mum wrote:If your daughter became a nun would she need the vaccine?!
My understanding is no she couldn't as long as she became a nun quickly.
I am pretty sure from the info availiable that it is s-x-ally transmitted.Hence my earlier point.I really hope(and pray) that all of my daughters would be in a low risk group because of making the right lifestyle choices. Unfortunately I cannot know this for sure or know the history of the man she may fall in love with.

(Herman feel free to correct me if I am wrong :D )
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi CM and Warks Mum

Yes the risk can still be in the blokes I am afraid even is DD only ever has one partner.... There is a type of Ca Cervix (adenocarcinoma) that is v nasty , doesn't show up in smears, has nothing to do with HPV or any other ******** transmission but is thankfully much rarer than the squamous cell carcinoma that we are talking about.

TIPSY
Am constantly working on my professional development portfolio.
I woudl be very interested to learn more. Please can you let me have the details of the studies you refer to about the pill and Ca Cervix as the only ones I have ever seen find that the pill is a confounder not a causative agent. However if you know otherwise and the research is of good quality then let me have the references - I trust that they will be in reputable peer reviewed journals.
re the vacine and the bowel / autism problems - I think you will find that the doctor in question ultimately had to answer to the GMC.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now