HPV immunisation

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

I chatted to my daughters last night about it. The fifteen year old will be getting the vaccination later this term, but there doesn't appear to be any for the girls in year 13. However both agreed lifestyle choices were the best way to avoid such cancer - on the one hand I am pleased they think this way, on the other I know they still need the jab. I'm thinking they just don't want another needle, in fact the older one became hysterical when she had her top up vaccinations in year 10 (how embarrassing, I thought I'd done a better job on her than that :oops: )
So I think we may need to visit the GP for the older one, hopefully she can go on her own, so I don't need to witness the hysteria :roll: Thanks Herman and another mother for your input.
LFH
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi LFH

Glad it is sorting out...... problem with the HPV is that is 3 injections (0,1, & 6 months) .. I know exactly what my reaction would have been at that age!!! :oops: :oops:
Agreed often better done in absence of parents - or is the case of my DD done surrounded by people I work with so she didn't like to lose face!!! (she also knew we had our usual cupboardful of cake and biccies which she was able to dsample afterwards!!)
Looking for help

Yes Herman, I think some form of chocolate/cake reward will be in order. :lol:
Looking for help

Ahhhh now I've trawled through t'interweb and can only find stuff telling me what a great idea it is :shock:
Speaking to my husband at lunch time, he is not happy about it, his concerns relating to the fact that as a new vaccination, given to young girls, none of the children being given it have yet borne healthy children themselves. Herman, do you know if there is any data regarding risk to their future children then?

Oh and can we pay some kind of consultancy fee for your invaluable advice?

Many thanks

LFH
lacey

Post by lacey »

My DD will be due to have it next year. I have decided against it . Its too new for my liking and I am sure she could maybe have it at a later stage.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi

Not aware of any data on future children yet as has not been around so long.

Vaccines fall into the following types:

•Live attenuated viruses (rubella, measles, oral polio, mumps) or bacteria (BCG)
•Inactivated viruses (parenteral polio, hepatitis A) or parts of the virus (pneumococcal vaccine, influenza)
•Inactivated bacterial toxins (diphtheria and tetanus)
•Genetically engineered (Hepatitis B vaccine)

HPV is really like Hep B vaccine - genetically produced proteins which simulate the viral proteins, there is no DNA and no live or killed virus so it can't hang around and cause problems. The Hep B has been around since I was a houseman (mid 80s) and seems very well tolerated. The main problem with vaccines is making them noticeable enough (with the tiny bit of protein that is injected ) to the body to make it respond ie produce antibodies, this was always a problem with Hep B which some people took ages to respond to ... the non response got worse with increasing age :oops: . I suspect it may be the same with the HPV.
another mother

Post by another mother »

there was a brief discussion about HPV (built on the work of the school nurse rather than direct debate about efficacy or problems) on Radio 4 this pm (c 16.50 for those keen to 'listen again').
It seemed to be more about counteracting hysteria than anything else - and the girls were unquestioningly pro and very mature about wanting to be given extra protection.
Didn't answer underlying concerns - but Herman you are doing a great job!
Still no reply from our school nurse!
Looking for help

Thanks Herman :lol:
Looking for help

This was in the Telegraph today.....I am quite unsure now.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healt ... ccine.html

We got the info from school today, planned vaccinations week after next.

I will have to think hard

LFH
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi LFH

These things always appear at the most diffiuclt moments don't they???!

I've had a look at the actual report - most are local aches and pains (DD had this 1st was worse than 2nd).... also quite a few "psychogenic", having given large numbers of imms in schools they can get quite anxious and there can be overbreathing etc, also some which seem to be rather unrelated - such as amenorrhea? (periods stopping that is).

Have a look at the original report, minus the journalese.

http://www.mhra.gov.uk/home/idcplg?IdcS ... hod=Latest - hope that works
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now