Maths streaming in High Schools

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Quite, Rob.

My nephew and niece went to a comprehensive school where they didn't set children from the off. The answer was to start them all at a level 3. Nephew was a level 5 leaving primary after a year of not having to make any effort he found it very hard to move up a gear when they finally did decide to set them a year later. Ultimately he never realised his true potential. Children who have it too easy are often reluctant to start working hard later on when they may need to.

Not setting initially in a school which selects on ability is one thing. To do so in a school where abilities are so diverse is unfair on everyone. What could be more soul destroying than to sit in a class where you are the only one struggling or alternatively where the pace is so slow it would be like watching paint dry.
Haze

Post by Haze »

Some of this makes interesting reading:
http://www.literacytrust.org.uk/research/stream.html

"There are no significant differences between setting and mixed-ability teaching in overall attainment… but low-achieving pupils show more progress in mixed-ability classes and high-achieving pupils show more progress in set classes."

"Streaming and setting have a detrimental effect on the attitudes and self-esteem amongst average and low ability pupils.They tend to reinforce divisions along lines of social class, gender, race and age. As a result, low ability classes often contain disproportionately large numbers of pupils from working class background, boys, ethnic minorities and summer born children."

:?
wonderwoman

Post by wonderwoman »

I'm sure secondary teachers can manage to teach mixed ability classes, primary teachers do.
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

I have to agree, Wonderwoman. As a primary teacher, I am very used to differentiating between a WIDE range of abilities. I do concede though that the gap probably gets wider and wider...
Haze

Post by Haze »

It looks like it is a heated topic. If your child is bright - go for streaming. If not, go for mixed ability.
Long live Grammar schools :D
or alternatively where the pace is so slow it would be like watching paint dry.
I used to watch paint dry for a living. Don't knock it :lol:
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

I dont think it has anything to do with being bright or not, it is about teaching a subject like maths in sets so that similar ability pupils are taught together, otherwise as other posters have said there is a risk that some children will be incredibly bored, and others may be completely bewildered. Neither situation is helpful.
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

I don't agree that streaming has a negative effect on middle to low ability. I went to a GS, many, many moons ago and was dreadful at maths - 30% was a good test result for me. I remember the panic of sitting in a maths lesson while the bright kids answered all the questions which I didn't understand at all. When we got into the equivalent of year 10, we were finally put into sets and I was in the bottom of three O'level sets. But suddenly maths lessons were tailored to my ability and I finally got to grips with the subject, even managing to get a B for my O'level.

In mixed ability maths classes I felt panic and confusion, in my maths set I felt much more confident and able to ask questions.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Quite Bexley Mum 2. I know exactly how you felt as I go to a ballet class every Tuesday and it is no fun being the only one not to get it :lol: . You just keep a low profile at the back in an effort not to hold every one up or act the clown.

Literacy is different than maths. Many of the old tests for selection didn't work because they were literacy based with a strong emphasis on vocab. Children were often penalised for a lack of variety in the language in their homes. Ethnic minorities would suffer because of their home language.

I agree that good primary school teachers are able to differentiate work but many primaries are small so they don't have any other option. Surely it is easier to have one class doing the same thing than trying to juggle different levels all during the same single lesson slot. Remember in primary you have one class all day on the whole.
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

I don't agree that streaming has a negative effect on middle to low ability.
Nor do I. DS is in bottom set for maths at GS (this is first time they have been setted), but it has re-motivated him this year because he has realised he isn’t terrible at it, he’s just not as good as a lot of others. :D

Suddenly he has realised it isn’t all hopeless.

The Literacy Trust link which Haze posted, while interesting, appears to be talking about primary schools. I do’t think setting is important at that young an age, personally.

Also this
low ability classes often contain disproportionately large numbers of pupils from working class background, boys, ethnic minorities and summer born children.
is referring to literacy not maths and is self-evidently true to the extent that boys generally tend to be less keen on reading than girls and children for whom English is a second language are bound to find literacy harder, on average, than those for whom it isn’t!

As with so many aspects of education, inspiring, motivated teachers and parental support at home count for a lot. Ed’s mum, I’m sure you score highly on both counts.
moved

Post by moved »

I currently teach a yr 7 mixed ability class. (They will be set at half term.) We are moving rapidly through a 6-8 week assessment programme and I am trying to instill confidence in all. This means that we do not go too deeply into each topic and my most able are working through maths that they are already familiar with. The most able are given more stretching work to do by themselves or join the class if unsure. The rest are taught as a group. Then set work. At this point the less able work together with assistance. This enables me to cope with a huge range of ability. But my most able are teaching themselves to a certain extent. They will be much better in a group that is tailored to their own pace. I am also aware that we leave a topic before the lower ability children have had the time to consolidate a topic.

I think that all of the children feel good about the maths that they do in my class and that the less confident are starting to smile. But I am very aware that they will be better in groups that are tailored to each of them.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now