CAF - what is "Reasons for Preference (Optional)"

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Giulio

CAF - what is "Reasons for Preference (Optional)"

Post by Giulio »

Hi,

On the London Common Application Form on the eAdmission site there is a section for "Reasons for Preference (Optional)".

Does anybody know what is that for?

Does the school actually see it?

Does it bare any effect on the assignment of place or is there just for information to the school and to the Pan London admission system?

Thanks
Alex

Post by Alex »

It's on all the CAFs, not just London ones and is there because the law says that parents must be allowed to state their reasons for preference - but at the same time the only reasons the admissions authorities may take account of are those which tie in with the admissions policy for any particular school.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Mmmmmmmmmmm yes, it's quite often just a waste of space. Gives you the feeling that it might make a difference, unless it really is something that ties in with the admission policy as pointed out above.
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

It certainly goes against the grain to leave it blank...but I do end up wondering 'what's the point?'
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

I'm sure I read in the literature a couple of years ago that it's for reasons like 'wanting a single sex school on religious? grounds'.
The way I took it was that if there was one place left and, if all other criteria were equal, then the person filling out the extra box would have priority.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I entirely agree with Alex. It's a legal requirement to give parents the opportunity to state reasons for their preference, but places can only be allocated on the basis of the admission rules!

(I assume that any questions, such as siblings or exceptional medical/social reasons, if relevant to the admission criteria, are taken care of elsewhere on the form.)
Etienne