Why the bad reputation?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

I only found the site after DD1 had sat the test.I have found the forum to be incredibly supportive on all sorts of issues.
When my second DD had a bit of a trauma recently, I had several pms of encouragement.
With regards to the posts along the lines of " Cordelia has an IQ of 6.4 billion etc...", I think in some cases people just want a safe place to talk about achievement.It can be a dirty word in some circles and they just assume that a website about selective education will be an accepting place.
Posting is a bit like texting and I worry about misinterpreting people or being misinterpreted due to lack of facial/ voice signals.So I try to give the Cordelia type posters the benefit of the doubt. They probably aren't as scary in real life......probably :?

P.S haven't noticed any "sneering" posts ? Must be a bit unobservant :shock:
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

I've seen a few of the posts on Mumsnet too. I just shrug and think "there's no such thing as bad publicity"! I am sure that it brings quite a lot of people here.

The scores thing is interesting - my personal view is that we should discourage mentions of scores unless the school place depends on them, or an Appeal is being discussed. Otherwise it is just bragging, and can be very depressing for some people.
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

Sally-Anne wrote:I've seen a few of the posts on Mumsnet too. I just shrug and think "there's no such thing as bad publicity"! I am sure that it brings quite a lot of people here.

The scores thing is interesting - my personal view is that we should discourage mentions of scores unless the school place depends on them, or an Appeal is being discussed. Otherwise it is just bragging, and can be very depressing for some people.

Although more than once I have been pressed for them by people who worry that their DC have got to score 95%+ in everything. It can be useful knowledge.I have had PMs asking me to reveal this too. I don't mind as my two were at completely different ends of the scores and both are doing just fine.I hope that is a reassurance to some people.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Chelmsford mum wrote:P.S haven't noticed any "sneering" posts ? Must be a bit unobservant
No CM, it's because you don't have a bad bone in your body.
mattsurf

Post by mattsurf »

Milo sounds like a bit of a genius to me - are we sure that he didn't pass all of his A levels at the age of 8? :twisted:
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Yeah, he did, and that was only because he had to do the resits some months later!! His parents were SO disappointed that he didn;t get A*s whilst he was still 7 as his brother, Tarquin, did.
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

T.i.p.s.y wrote: No CM, it's because you don't have a bad bone in your body.

How nice of you :D but I think it may just be that I don't have the IQ of Ed's mum's son Tarquin . :D
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

Surely Milo's siblings are Bella, Fizz and Jake....? And they have a dog called Doodles!
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

pheasantchick wrote:Surely Milo's siblings are Bella, Fizz and Jake....? And they have a dog called Doodles!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
i have always wondered what kind of child minding establishment they were in. Bet it hasn't had an OFSTED. :P
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Sorry, Jake is not a name that Milo's parents' would call a child! :lol: