Getting Them Back to School Following Illness

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Part of me thinks that the very last thing she needs to do is actually be in the doctor's waiting room if her immune system is low. I would advise her to keep away from that sort of place.

Why not get some advice over the 'phone first?

I too would not send her back until after the half term holiday. Plenty of rest, nutritious food and lots of liquids. Some fresh air and a small amount of work to make the return less daunting. That would be my prescription if I were a doctor!! perhaps a good thing that I'm not!
Milla

Post by Milla »

my boy's got something which I hadn't even thought could be GF :shock: being :oops: slightly of the Stuff and Nonsense brigade. But he is def lassitudinous, cough, throat, not helped by being allied to growing pains. I was called to collect him from school last Thursday and he's been off since. I was going to shoe horn him in tomorrow (most of his class is in Germany on a trip so not missing much I hope) to get his report card and sort of break the dread that could build in not otherwise going back til after half term (they break up tomorrow night) which could be a daunting gap.
The point of this is not to indulge in some good ole Me Me Me stuff (tempting as that always is!) but to reiterate OP that it might be something more low key - tied to exhaustion. This is a foul, long, dark term and takes a bit of getting used to.
I hope she recovers asap.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Charlotte

I am sorry to hear about your DD. I think the suggestions about keeping up with schoolwork at home are very good.

Also, if her timetable permits, why not let her go back for half- or short- days? She won't miss much in subjects like Art, Games, RE, PSHE.

History and Geography can also be missed if needs be. English, Maths and Science are all that really matters.

Hope she recoveres soon, but don't push it - I believe that there is a rare but occasional link between GF and ME. You don't want to go there!

S-A
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I have been sick for a couple of weeks with periods of feeling perky and then feeling weak again. After C67 mentioned GF I looked it up and unfortunately I have ALL these symptoms except depression (OH may dispute)! :shock:

.fatigue not satisfied by sleep.
.recurrent tonsillitis
.chronic sore throat and swollen lymp glands in the neck.
.aches and pains in the limbs.
.brain fag - not being able to find the right words.
.lack of concentration
.depression (feeling very low)
.deep lethargy
.not being able to stand lots of noise, people or strong smells (perfume, cleaning materials etc.) .
.pins and needles
.not feeling all there

It also says that you should rest for at least one month, so looks like poor DD really needs to sleep.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

T.i.p.s.y wrote:I have been sick for a couple of weeks with periods of feeling perky and then feeling weak again. After C67 mentioned GF I looked it up and unfortunately I have ALL these symptoms except depression (OH may dispute)! :shock:

.fatigue not satisfied by sleep.
.recurrent tonsillitis
.chronic sore throat and swollen lymp glands in the neck.
.aches and pains in the limbs.
.brain fag - not being able to find the right words.
.lack of concentration
.depression (feeling very low)
.deep lethargy
.not being able to stand lots of noise, people or strong smells (perfume, cleaning materials etc.) .
.pins and needles
.not feeling all there

It also says that you should rest for at least one month, so looks like poor DD really needs to sleep.
50% of the people I see have got that - and most if them work for the NHS!!! Swine flu gives you quite a few of these symptoms - as does general tiredness / thyroid disease / depression / post viral syndrome / primary bilairy currhosis / renal failure / anaemia / rheumatological conditions / pregnancy / intoxication / diabetes / mild cardiac failure / shall I continue?

Huge range of differential diagnoses......
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Charlotte - it is really difficult to know what to do with these kids.. I have seen quite a few who had viral illnesses which seemed to go and then bounced back ... like yr DD and her fever. have heard this saga from other colleagues too. Must be the current viral beasty. Treat the fever and then see how she goes.
The GF (blood) test is not desperately accurate - I don't tend to do it unless they have been unwell 4/52 as most things will have gone by then and it just muddies the water. It is a tiring term so far - if she can get back before half term is there any poss of half days?
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

DS1's friend was diagnosed with GF a year or two ago (probably Yr 8 too). He was off for ages and started back with short days to ease himself back into things. Why not speak to the school and see if they would agree to this for your daughter? I had GF myself when I was about 15 and was in hospital best part of a week, off school for what seemed like an age and then very, very lethargic for months after that.
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Hope DD is better soon.
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

Hope your daughter is feeling better, and gets plenty of rest and recuperates during half-term.
Charlotte67

Post by Charlotte67 »

Thank you all. She seems quite a lot better today and I shall send her in tomorrow.