Are Your Kids Out Trick or Treating?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Must have missed out on this but we NEVER did it as kids ... must have crept over the atlanbtic in the following years.

find it worrying that we spend all year telling kids not to take sweets from strangers etc etc but people feel it is OK to send kids knocking on doors asking for them. .... only a matter of time I reckon before something dire happens to a kid trick or treating one year.
Plum

Post by Plum »

We've just come home - feet ache!

We love it our Trick or Treating night - we live in a very residential neighbourhood with a primary school at each end. There are lots of houses with kids so it makes for a really great atmosphere. We have rules, such no lights on, no knocking plus we avoid elderly neighbours that we know about. It seems that the neighbourhood really comes alive tonight and it brings people together. Many houses have decorations up as well as pumpkins.

And of course, the kids love it. They don't mind if they don't get any sweets, they just like showing off their costumes and spotting their friends in theirs.

Tonight, their haul included apples, bananas, pencils and rubbers.

We also get our fair share of ghosts and ghouls knocking on our door and my DCs can't wait to give out sweets!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Sounds like you have got it well organised there!!

Good if you avoid people who might not like it, have had older relatives quite disturbed by it in recent years.
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

I think you're right Herman about it only being a matter of time before something happens from accepting things from strangers. I think it really is important to accompany our children and vet who they visit - you need to know the people IMO.
scarymary

Post by scarymary »

Sounds like a lot of you have been out there having fun!
We used to take the kids round trick or treating, but last year and this, they've shown no interest whatsoever!
I wonder if they'll get back into it when they're teenagers or if it's going to be 'uncool' from now on.
familyinthevalley

Post by familyinthevalley »

and as usually happens......now the idiots are out there. One of them a classmate of my year 6 son......egging the house across the street.....why is a 10 yr old out at 9pm????? without an adult.....go figure. His phone number will be given to the neighbour in the morning.
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

I can never understand why children of that age are allowed out alone after a certain time - especially when it's dark.
Good for you!
familyinthevalley

Post by familyinthevalley »

My son had said that this child had intended on 'egging' certain houses tonight......and that if he came down to go trick or treating with my kids, my son didn't want to go with him. Funny thing, they are great friends, this other one just gets out of hand sometimes when around another particular kid.....and other times, he's just the nicest boy :roll:
inkypinkyponky

Post by inkypinkyponky »

We've had a fun day celebrating DS's 4th birthday!

A big thanks to all of you who suggested games and food on my previous thread- a fab time was had by all 17 of his little friends.

We live in a residential area, no through traffic, with many being young families, so do we Trick or Treat? YEAH!

This year DD1, who is 15, said that she is too old, so I went out with DD2 (12) and DS (4). We don't knock on the elderly that we know or dark houses, but only those who have lit pumpkins or have decorations up. In fact, many of the lit houses do belong to the elderly, who love seeing their young neighbours dressed up.

I left OH at home to dispense goodies - chocs, gooey eyeballs, squidgy brains etc, and he reckons we've had over 50 Trick or Treaters. Some years it's been over 100, so a quiet year this one! I do know quite a few people who have gone away on hols though as some schools don't go back to school 'til wednesday. I carved two pumpkins this year and called them 'puking pumpkins' as they are sicking out their innards - nearly everyone who has called has mentioned how lovely and revolting they are!

DS has now conked out in his bed holding a foot long toy aeroplane which is his favourite birthday toy - aahhh!

inky x

Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

I'm so glad that the party went well!