Tudor Sailor

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
twinkles

Tudor Sailor

Post by twinkles »

My son has to go to school as a tudor sailor all next week! Any ideas what they wore?
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

I don't know how happy you will be about it, but there are some pics here:

http://www.maryrose.org/lcity/index.htm
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

scurvy and no teeth??
twinkles

Post by twinkles »

Thanks Sally-Anne I'm not happy about it at all! I don't like being given short notice for having to dress up - as if anyone has a Tudor sailor costume just lying around!
Milla

Post by Milla »

well, don't we all?
(tosses hair busily) well, really, call yourself a mother!
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

aah, those halcyon days of beiong told as you are leaving the house that she neeeeeeeeeds 5 red things for the red table!
:roll: :roll: :roll:
solimum

Post by solimum »

I would suggest:

Old pair of trousers with holes in the knees/ ragged hem etc

One of dad's old shirts with large belt, sleeves rolled up

Messy hair /grubby face (DS will be happy!)

Large cutlass between the teeth - or maybe not
inkypinkyponky

Post by inkypinkyponky »

My two DDs were in the juniors in 2005 and dressed up as sailors from Nelsons Navy to celebrate 200 years since the Battle of Trafalgar.

Like solimum suggested they wore old dark trousers which had been ripped and had an old white t shirt too. To be different from the many other sailors, they actually went as 'dead sailors'!!

On their old t shirts I had painted in poster paint a large black circle about 8'' in diameter, and another the same size on the back. Have you guessed what they were? They were cannon ball holes! Adding to the yucky theme I also sewed a few shreds of red material and red wool to the edges of the black circle to be the guts hanging out!

I painted their faces a pale whitey green with face paints (or you could use talc), and they had dribbles of red paint from the corners of their mouths. The carried a garden cane onto which we'd tied long bits of string with red material on the end, thus becoming a cat-o-nine-tails to whip their class mates with. They loved it and to top it all they jointly won the first prize for their home made costumes, beating all those who had hired theirs!

I know people usually groan having to make costumes, but with the girls help the costumes only took about a half hour to knock up.

Dig out an old t shirt this weekend and get your son painting and gore making - I'm sure you'll both have fun!
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

Er Twinkles, you've been told this is for next week and you're complaining?!!!!! I always get such things thrown at me at bedtime the night before. Recent gems have been, "I need to dress up as a rabbi tomorrow" (Yr 7 RE); "I need to dress up as a detective tomorrow" (Yr 8 drama) and, "I need to dress up as a character from a book tomorrow... and I'm not going as Harry Potter again..." (Yr 6).

Mind you, I suppose the downside is the more time you have to think about it, the better the outfit is expected to be!
twinkles

Post by twinkles »

Thanks inkypinkyponky - what great ideas! I might have to pinch the cat-o-nine tails that is a good one! Would never have thought of that.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now