Storing up problems for the futute

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I wanted to know why Scotland wasn't included but I did get an interview for Durham (didn't go) and it must have been on the basis of the school I went to which left the sink and seeped into the sewer a long time ago! :lol:
another mother

Post by another mother »

oh dear - I wasn't intending to be contenious :oops: - I really meant it was quite fair enough to have the modifier given all the other benefits most of the children whose parents frequent this site, including mine, are likely to be accruing.

At both my DD's schools they discourage you from taking too many GCSEs- 10, or 11 tops, while DDs friends at comps or so called comprehensives (some selection in fact) are taking rather more. Surely they'll get more points anyway - or is it only top grades that count.
It really all is too much to fathom.
another mother

Post by another mother »

nonsense Tipsy - your Durham interview would have been due to your inate ability! :)

Just wondered if this was yet another reason to high tail back north?! Maybe the Scots won't divulge.

finally where do IGCSEs fit in all this - don't some schools use them to escape all tables? Clearly not from the Durham one.
Sally Herts

Post by Sally Herts »

I don't think you're being contentious at all, another mother :)

It's just an interesting debate - and taking my mind off things while my DS is at this very moment taking his vr paper - aghhhh?!?
:shock:
another mother

Post by another mother »

Oh good luck, good luck - it's the worst thing waiting while they are in there.
Any distraction is valid. And chocolate is always good.

The sad thing is I should have left this site eighteen months ago and I'm still distracting myself. :oops:
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Apart from the indies I don't think many apply to English universities in Scotland. Some will apply for Cambridge and potentially London because it may be viewed as an exciting location but most courses are free in Scotland and Edinburgh is very well thought of as well as Glasgow and St Andrews so maybe Durham don't see the point in including Scottish schools if very few apply.
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

Another point to mention is that Scottish students tend to be only 17 when they go to university....many of my friends were still only 16, as you've done your highers in 5th year,which can make you only 16 if you leave after 5th year. So I think that might be a reason why they don't go as far afield. We looked at Galsgow university for our son and reckoned at nearly 19 he would have stood out like a sore thumb with all the 'little ones'. When I went there many moons ago, loads of people lived at home with their parents and there is still a large proprotion of students doing that at the likes of Glasgow as far as we could tell from the prospectus.

I was very intersted in this Durham university information, but on the face of it can't see anything wrong with giving positive discrimination to the grades from poorer performing schools....it must be harder for students from a poor performing comprehensive to attain the giddy heights of 3As than a student from a grammar or a selective independent school, surely. I cannot believe it will lead to high performing students from better schools missing out on offers.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

LFH, I know that some 16 year olds (about to turn 17) could go to Scottish uni's but the reality is that most uni's would not accept them as they would prefer them to continue into the sixth form and do advanced highers or sixth form studies. Edinburgh is one of the most sought after uni's within the public school sector and full of Harrovians should anyone wish to avoid them! :wink: :lol:
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

Yes I know you're right, just saying what can happen. I myself was not 18 after having stayed on till 6th year , just depends when your birthday is, but then there was no problem about being under 18 - you just got a big piece of coloured film over your photo in your diary to show you were under 18, and so couldn't buy alochol - like anyone checked :lol:
Anyway Edinburgh's only good if you're English or from the East Coast - its not for the likes of us from the West. (This is a joke, might need to be Scottish to get it, sorry )
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I have stories about Edinburgh Uni and it's arrogance! :roll:

Friend who got a 1st at Edinburgh in Bio Sciences and the Lectured for 3 years at he Uni did not get on the Med degree but his girlfriend who got a 2nd at Cambridge in English did! :? They do promote themselves to the English public schools. Sycophants I say! :x
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now