Storing up problems for the futute

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

T.i.p.s.y wrote:I have stories about Edinburgh Uni and it's arrogance! :roll:

:? They do promote themselves to the English public schools. Sycophants I say! :x
Agreed, but the Morningside ladies think they live in England, don't they :lol:
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

But in their defence it's probably the only place we could move back to as OH reception as an Englishman in Glasgie wasn't very welcoming! :(

I did once ask an East Lothian if they were Glaswegian and they were sooo affronted! :? Get over yer sel a thought! :lol:
Looking for help

T.i.p.s.y wrote: I did once ask an East Lothian if they were Glaswegian and they were sooo affronted! :? Get over yer sel a thought! :lol:
Tee hee, you might be good at schools but you're not so good on the accent front :lol:
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Cum on then. Lets hear the Ian Rankin language fae you then!
serialtester

Post by serialtester »

T.i.p.s.y wrote:Cum on then. Lets hear the Ian Rankin language fae you then!
*swallows scotch* stop being so nesh :D

(that's all I can manage only being half scottish!)
MasterChief

Post by MasterChief »

Mae Mam's a Scot but I'll no inflict mae taepenn'th on ye.
Back on subject of modifiers, this is just perfect isn't it? You spend all your time trying to do your best for them,encouraging them, turning up to help out at school,doing the whole PTA thing,getting a tutor,getting them through the 11+,encourage them through GCSEs and A levels and then because some useless bunch of bureaucrats can't be bothered to get the system right at the front end your DC runs up against a brick wall like this. I mean what's the B%**$y point :evil:
What is the point of encouraging thousands of people to do their best for their children if right at the last hurdle they say "well you're just as able but X here had to go to St. Chavs because unfortunately we have this thing called selection and, although his parents wanted to send him to a good school, we can't actually make all the schools equally good so, sorry, he gets a place and you don't"
I understand why it's being done and the aim is admirable and yes I imagine this whole system will have been overhauled at least 30 times by the time my DS comes up against it but still... it makes me a little cross
"We've got a date with Destiny and it looks like she's ordered the lobster."
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

I would recommend you chill a little and read the U of D's page where they describe the circumstances in which they would actually use this.

Then revel in the DCSF's inadvertent provision of such a succinct critique of the British education system despite its best efforts over the years to obscure which schools are falling down on the job...

Mike
MasterChief

Post by MasterChief »

Hi Mike,
Tongue was relatively positioned towards the fleshy outer portion of mouth when I posted but it does say" is only likely to be considered by departments where GCSE achievement is required to differentiate between applicants." So while its use is not a given it does appear to be a possibility unless I have misread it entirely and admittedly I have only scanned it fairly briefly.
MasterChief

Post by MasterChief »

I am now revelling in the DCSF's ability to hide information in plain sight or more accurately within 7 pages of "Value added technical information" in what will probably be a vain attempt to discover the method by which they produce the average capped GCSE data for each school. Through this endeavour I hope to gain an insight to the machinations within the mind of Mr. Balls and his minions.
Looking for help

I have to say that having looked at this the modifier used for what I would consider to be very poor schools in our area is not that much, so I can't understand what all the fuss is about. I'm pretty sure that Durham is very over subscribed and it is difficult to get an offer from them . The ones that I know who have gone there tend to be the people who didn't get into Oxbridge. I agree with Mike, there is a need to chill and everyone is trying to do the best for their children, that is agreed, but they wont automatically be excluded just because they went to a good school. All this is doing is attempting to level the playing field and that is a very good thing.

To Tipsy - I don't do accents either remember I'm a Plum :lol: , buit just watch it or I'll give you a Glesca kiss :lol:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now