Wrong choice of school?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
delta

Wrong choice of school?

Post by delta »

OK. I know this probably isn't the worst position to be in but I'd really welcome other views. Our dd is in Year 8 and generally is happy at school. She's made friends, is doing well and is involved in lots of extra-curricular stuff. However, in general the teaching is dull, dull dull! (This is an indie.) I find myself wondering if she would be better off somewhere else - she's bright and I'm concerned as she gets older she might get turned off by the unimaginative lessons she's getting. But she doesn't want to move and I know how disruptive it could be socially, never mind the difficulty of find a place in another school that we could be sufficiently confident would improve on where she is. Should we just be content that in general everything's OK and accept the boring bits? Or investigate the possibilities of changing? I feel end of Year 8 would be the right time to move if she's going to; after that I think it gets increasingly difficult until sixth form. Has anyone been in this position?
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

It depends on what type of inde it is. Is it a school that has an intake at 11 and 13 because often - not always - Year 7 and 8 are often bringing children who were in state school up to speed when the prep school kids come in at Year 9. The teaching is often very methodical to make sure the basics are very strong but if DD is already very bright then this can be very boring. If another intake does come in at Yr 9 then the pace may change and she can pick her GCSE's based on the teachers she finds most impressive and inspiring.

My son is very bored at the moment and I think there are very few schools that can stimulate a very bright child all of the time unless it is very selective - even then it is not a given. Some years have been good others bad and this is a bad stage at the moment.

If she is happy and doing well and does not want to leave then I think you need to follow her lead on this. She could always change for the sixth form if she and you are still dissatisfied.
PB Mum

Post by PB Mum »

Difficult one...is your DD bored, and expressing it? Our DD was bored, bored, bored in first few weeks of Y7, enjoying the friendships, TLC, sport, but coming home saying she was bored...quote:' what am I going to do for a year whilst the others catch up' (which I took with a pinch of salt, but did listen, as it seemed quite mature that she didn't just want to 'coast') She had passed the entrance exam for another (also all girls) school, I phoned them, they checked her results and were kind enough to offer her a place. More academic school, moved her October half-term, easily survived the move, kept in touch with the friends she had made, thrived, and got an academic award at the end of the year. A term later another girl at the original school did the same thing...wrong school for my DD, mea culpa.

She is very happy at the new school, and doing well, but she would prefer a mixed environment (which is what she has been used to at primary school, and has at home) so she's just sat for a local mixed Indie (where her brother has just started in Y7), 13+ entry...her decision, may not make it through, but nothing ventured...

Presumably it's your DD saying the lessons are 'boring' and the teaching's dull...? These girls are quite mature, maybe you should explore what other options she may have...?
delta

Post by delta »

Thanks for the replies. My dd is in Year 8 so moving would be more of an upheaval I think and I'm not sure how much the boring line coming from her is a genuine concern or just a comment to sound 'cool' and fit in with friends. She has an academic award at her current school so that would also be a factor in moving as I'm sure this wouldn't be an option, certainly initially, in a different school.

Tipsy, I'm not sure the reason for the dull teaching is to bring state entrants up to speed - the majority of children have either come up from a linked junior school or from other preps. There is a small 13+ entry but not enough of an intake to cause that much of a change.

I think at the moment because she's generally happy it's probably best to leave things as they are and see what the position is in 6 months time. But thanks again for the responses.