Locked topics

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Bad Dad
Bad Dad wrote:The trouble is, it only takes one person to go over the top and the thread gets locked. I have seen some mods censoring out offending comments while allowing the thread to stand. Perhaps this could have been the initial approach on this occasion?
There are two topics that will always cause controversy on this Forum - class and religion. Quite honestly, that thread was always going to end in tears and it was just a matter of when. I don't criticise Ed's Mum for starting it though, because we should always travel in hope.

The thread had already nearly been derailed earlier in the day, but was righted because people were willing to remain reasonable and see other people's points of view.

However there were three posts in a very short space of time that showed that it was all going downhill at an alarming speed, culminating in the post by serialtester. In a situation like that a Mod can do any one of several things:

1. Edit the post to remove the offensive content and post a warning to the poster and everyone. On a controversial topic that will not hold back the tide for long though.

2. Remove the offensive post and PM the poster to ask them not to repeat the trick. The risk is that they will come back anyway. Again, on a controversial topic, someone else will probably come back in the same vein, even if the OP doesn't, especially if the offensive post was on the Forum for a while before it was removed and was seen by several people.

3. Remove the whole thread and post why. (Cue an avalanche of questions and complaints publicly and via PM, and probably also attempts to re-open the thread.)

4. Leave the post untouched but lock the thread as an example of exactly what went wrong and request that no one should re-open the topic. That is really the nuclear option and is usually quite effective because it is rare for members to fail to respect that request from a Mod.

Option 4 is always a very helpful strategy on seriously controversial issues, and especially when it is late at night and there is already major trouble. Mods do actually have beds to go to and rather than leave a thread to develop of its own accord while we are snoozing, the nuclear option is often most effective in an extreme situation like this.

It so happens that I was the only Mod online at that point, and I wasn't going to stay up all night sorting out the mess, so I chose the nuclear option on this occasion. As it was, by the time I had dealt with the offending member it was well beyond midnight and I had had quite enough, thank you very much! :D

I see that while I have been watching the X Factor WP has deleted a reply from someone attempting to reopen the discussion on this thread, and also given an explanation.

I hope it helps you to understand the "Mod's dilemma" a little more clearly anyway?

Sally-Anne
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Sally-Anne wrote:I don't criticise Ed's Mum for starting it though, because we should always travel in hope.
I do however accept that I was responsible for moving a debate which looked like it was about to become personal - but also very interesting - (on a regional thread) into a larger arena.

For that I make a public apology. particularly to Sally-Anne, who had to mop up the mess.

It's tricky starting new threads sometimes. If they're boring, no one will read/comment upon them. if they're too controversial, they'll get lots of hits but they'll also possibly encourage extremes of opinions and get heated (understandably).
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Ed's Mum

There is absolutely no need to apologise!

As I said, we must travel hopefully and believe in the goodness of human nature. Past experience may tell us not to bother, but Einstein, Ghandi, Churchill, Mandela et al suggest otherwise. :D

S-A
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

No, I really don't think you should be the one apologising, Ed's Mum .........

The fact that you choose to do so just goes to show what a really nice person you are! :D
Etienne
MasterChief

Post by MasterChief »

I just wish I'd noticed it was locked before I sat and typed my Twopennyworth!!! :roll:
"We've got a date with Destiny and it looks like she's ordered the lobster."
mad?

Post by mad? »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
mad?
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

Rats...I completely missed the offending posts, but was finding the debate interesting. I appreciate though the efforts of the mods to keep order when necessary, well done to Sally Anne for her hard work :lol:
I don't think Ed's mum has any need to apologise, we should be able to discuss our different points of view in a civil manner, although sometimes, I know it is difficult if you perceive a comment to be inflammatory.
Loopyloulou

Post by Loopyloulou »

Looking for help wrote:Rats...I completely missed the offending posts, but was finding the debate interesting.
Me too (I think :lol: ). Any chance the thread can be returned from the Mods Shed (that undiscovered country from whose bourne no traveller returns...), suitably locked and censored if needs be, so we can all enjoy it?

Pretty please :D ?
Loopy
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I'm glad it got removed because I have seen lesser comments removed on other threads and I'm not sure the tone would be good for newcomers browsing the site. It would be a shame if they thought it was another forum like so many of the others that are so antagonistic. I do not browse many forums but this one is very unique and the posters are pretty unique too and it would be a shame if it changed.
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

Unfortunately, that particular thread was ruined by one person, possibly deliberately, posting such an OTT post that Sally-Anne really had no choice but to lock and/or delete the thread. No forum I ever post on would have allowed the debate to proceed beyond that point.

What a shame one [person] had to ruin it for everybody else since for those of us willing to listen to a range of viewpoints, it was an interesting debate. Especially for those of us who don’t know quite what to think or believe :?

Edited by WP
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now