AAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHH - Winter Coats!!!

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mumm

Post by mumm »

For the past two winters we have bought my nearly 13 year old black military stle coats in the trendy kids section in Debenhams
and they go up to about age 16 I think and are very stylish. Cost about
£45 but thats fine with me if it means she will actually wear it!
Usually comes home in her bag but at least she sets off in the morning wearing it! :)
neurotic kent mum

Post by neurotic kent mum »

My dd happily wears black coat from new look - stylish(her words) and cheap! But no blazer - not sure it would fit over blazer.
KES Parent

Post by KES Parent »

Snowdrops, sorry if I have missed something, but can't you just buy DD the next size up (or 2 sizes up if the growth spurt was particularly massive) of the lovely first coat from Debenhams and recoup some of the cost by selling version 1 to one of her smaller friends who admired it?
hopeful5

Post by hopeful5 »

I buy my DD coats from next but you have to order them if you want one above age 11 to collect in store. They are reasonably priced.

I prefer to buy light coloured coats for road safety. I just wish that you could buy coats with reflectors on.

I always liked H and M when dd was younger as their coats did have reflectors on them.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Wow, lots of responses!!

Yes, we get it doubly lucky, we too have strict rules on what the coat should be!

Half the problem with dd is although she's 12 she's more of a 14/15 year old size so the clothes meant to fit her are way too small and the clothes that do fit her can sometimes be a bit erm, old iyswim :shock:

So, yes there are one or two coats out there that would seem right, but for one reason or another probably wouldn't quite work - but I need to get dd into town to check out the last few options (one of the downsides of not getting in from school until later now - at least in primary we had an hour and a half after school to pop into town and do some shopping :shock:

Kes Parent, thanks for the idea, but we bought her the biggest size they did and it was autumn season not winter season so the coat is no longer available. I was in fact eyeing up something similar in the women's section of Debenhams this morning, but apart from the cost (£95 :lol: ) I'm not so sure she'd like it.

Clarendon, if only I could get her into a duffle - no matter how many times I tell her they're all the rage at the moment she just won't go for it I'm afraid :cry: (my dd and your dd seem a similar size as well as age :D )

Solimum, never heard of Jane Norman before, just had a look and there's some nice stuff on there, thank you (but still not sure suitable for my needs just now).

We also have the problem of small lockers and nowhere really to put coats - what on earth do schools expect the pupils to do????

I have been looking at the vests in M&S, I shall look at A&F too, I fear it may come down to this, unless it turns exceedingly cold and then she'll be begging me for a coat, by which time it will be far too late and they'll all be gone apart from the ones no-one else wants :cry:

I had this vision of someone would pop up and say yes, there's this new store open on-line which caters exclusively for 11-16 year olds. They do a fantastic range which is good value, well made and all the kids rave over the clothes .............................................. and then I woke up :lol: :lol:
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

Snowdrops wrote:
I had this vision of someone would pop up and say yes, there's this new store open on-line which caters exclusively for 11-16 year olds. They do a fantastic range which is good value, well made and all the kids rave over the clothes .............................................. and then I woke up :lol: :lol:
Wake up snowydrops, no such thing out there I'm afraid :cry: but you know its only cold for a few weeks really, and it's amazing how they become brilliant at keeping themselves warm in the bleak midwinter. Sometimes mine wear hoodies over their uniforms till they get to school when they are replaced by mandatory blazer-hoodies are then squirrelled away in their bags/lockers/friends lockers/ till hometime, then brought out for the journey home. Huge woolly scarves also become a fashion accessory/important part of uniform for again travelling to/from school - hidden during daylight for fear of detentions. However I have to say if they wore their skirts to the correct length of just above the knee, they would be a whole lot warmer :lol: :lol:
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

I would recommend "New look".We bought a coat in there on Sat.We were lucky enough to get it in the teen section(which goes up to 16) so was £18 and 14 year old was happy to wear it.They do lots that go over blazers and other DD got hers there a while back too.They have an online store too.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now