How much are you spending on DCs xmas gifts

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

aaawwww, bless :lol: :lol:
sally40

Post by sally40 »

Have not decided what ds main prezzie will be but talking to friends with dc the same age which is 11 they seem to be spending about £500 . :shock:
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I'm of the opinion that parents who spent amounts such as £500 are doing it more for themselves rather than their kids or trying to buy their love because they feel guilty about probably never spending time with them.
sallyj

Post by sallyj »

How much :shock: I'm with Tipsy on this one. That much money would give us a decent family holiday ! What child needs,or to be honest would really appreciate that much being spent ??
Aren't they setting some kind of crazy precident ? What will he be expecting them to spent next year £1000,the year after......?? Crazy !
Midget Man

Post by Midget Man »

Even if I had that sort of money it would not be of any benefit to give a young child that much! They don't need it and will not learn to appreciate the small and simple thing's to life either.

DS1 came home today saying a girl kept going on boasting that she would be getting "a laptop, a mobile phone, tv" He got sick of it and asked the teacher to tell her to stop going on and on :lol:

I mean, what does it mean to a young child at the end of the day? They should learn that time with people/family and being healthy are far more important above lot's of money.
chad

Post by chad »

Ds really wants an iphone....... so we have said that he can ask all the family to give him cash at xmas....he will then wait until Jan when hopefully the price will come down as it goes out to more suppliers.
He has already saved up a substantial amount over the last couple of months and hopefully will appreciate it if he does decide to fork out that amount of money on a phone. Not something I would do but 'gadgets' are his thing.... and this is certainly a gadget.
At least if he has to save, work and wait then he will appreciate that you sometimes cannot have things immediately and with no thought as to the cost.
[img]http://sl.glitter-graphics.net/pub/748/748895c3fyugpiju.gif[/img]
Midget Man

Post by Midget Man »

It is a great way to do thing's by getting them to pay toward's it or save until they can afford it, will teach them an awful lot more which will only help them in future life.

Make sure he insure's that type of phone though as with being a boy he is likely to lose it :lol:
tense

Post by tense »

I am spending about £80 on one present for my DD (aged 13) plus she gets stocking stuff (bits & bobs which do add up though!!). Her younger brother will have much less spent on him, but it will look like a bigger pile on the day so he'll be happy!

I am finding things a bit tough as my OH was made redundant last month. We have agreed to keep "the usual level" of presents for the kids - if that makes sense! - as they are enduring cutbacks elsewhere :roll:

I hope I've brought them up with the values many of you mention on this thread - thankfully neither of them are overly materialistic. Long may it last!
PB Mum

Post by PB Mum »

My DD (12) wants a replacement camera, which she knows is £80, and that's it apart from stocking gifts. DS (11) wants an Xbox, but knows he's got to find the balance (from £80), so has put his PS2 on ebay, and traded some of his games in (no nibbles yet, and I doubt it'll go for much) Feel a bit mean as they have no grandparents to 'spoil' them, but I agree, it's important they understand the value of things and time spent together having a bit of fun, which we'll do, has no price.
KB

Post by KB »

Also gave up trying to keep expenditure equal on all 3 - again different ages & stages means it has become silly. It will equal out over time & they aren't really bothered themselves as long as they get things that they really want!
As said before tends to be family games or equipment of different kinds for hobbies/activities - have got past the 'toy' stage.(Anything essential we buy anyway but if they want something extra or of a better standard have to wait till birthday/Christmas)
We are not in a tight financial position (yet!) but I am afraid that I think it is ridiculous to be spending £500 odd on a child at Christmas - they cant possibly appreciate the value of what they are given & if they are telling everyone at school about all the stuff they are expecting it doesn't demonstrate any kind of understanding of how most people live/caring about the feelings of others. Even in this country there are plenty of people for whom that amount of money would, spent wisely, make a big difference to their life. In the third world it could save the lives of so many children.
Sorry to rant - we are certainly as 'guilty' as any of spending on luxuries while others are in need but this kind of excess seems crazy. Shouldn't we at least be trying to bring up our children with some sense of perspective?