Are our children too young to make career choices

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
gogogirl

Are our children too young to make career choices

Post by gogogirl »

My 10 yr old dd has been telling me for months now that she wants to be a Marine Biologist when shes older and it just got me thinking about how many children know what they want to do when they are older and how many actually pursue that career path. Is it too young to know? I wanted to be both a nun and an air hostess!!! became neither of those though :)
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

My daughter was adamant at the age of 10 that she wanted to be an archeologist.This continued until 12.Last two years she wants to have some kind of career in a scientific field.Her most recent thinking for the past few months has been Chemical Engineer.(I don't really know what they do really :oops: )So I think it changes...
Middle one wanted to be a teacher all through primary school but since going into year 7 wants to be a lawyer but I think it is a whim.
From the age of 15 ish onwards I wanted to be a teacher and that is what I am.

Little one still wants to be a fairy or "something pink".

I think their more settled thinking comes a bit later but who knows, she might stick with the Marine Biology?
gogogirl

Post by gogogirl »

I became a nurse and then a midwife but not until i turned 30 and never even thought about that when i was younger. My mum said my grandma now sadly diseased used to help women in childbirth years ago in the olden days :) :) when they mostly delivered at home so maybe I inherited my chosen career path from her who knows!
marigold

Post by marigold »

My eldest ( 16 ) has a rather unhealthy obsession with Trevor Eve and is determined to be a forensic policeperson type thing. My youngest has rather unhealthy obsession with his stomach and has long planned to open Chelmsford's first delicatessen. My middle one started Latin this term and has fallen deeply for it. She wants to be a classics teacher and actually, I can truly see her as one and would be very proud if she followed this path.
Flamenco

Post by Flamenco »

gogogirl wrote:I became a nurse and then a midwife but not until i turned 30 and never even thought about that when i was younger. My mum said my grandma now sadly diseased . . .
Gogogirl, you are too much of a nurse and keep thinking about diseases rather than deceased . . . :lol:
solimum

Post by solimum »

Chelmsford mum wrote:.Her most recent thinking for the past few months has been Chemical Engineer.(I don't really know what they do really :oops: )
I can enlighten you!

http://www.whynotchemeng.com/uk-and-ire ... gineers-do
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Eldest daughter now 16 has wanted to be a vet since the tender age of six and still does. The 12-year old isn't sure but her favourite subjects are science and history, so I can see her doing something in either or both fields though she hasn't mentioned archaology yet! Son of 8 wants to be a doctor and has done for a few years so will have to see if he keeps to that ambition like DD1 has. Youngest daughter (7) is slowly coming round to the idea that being a princess isn't the only career option open to her although it still remains the most attractive prospect at present. :lol:
Marylou
Midget Man

Post by Midget Man »

My 10yr old son changes his mind all the time-at the minute he want's to be a pilot. simply because they get paid alot of money, not for any other reason :lol:

6yr DD-Just want's to be a fairy and that has never changed :)

4yr DS-Want's to be a superhero :lol:
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Master yoyo wanted to be a guard dog, then a policeman, then maybe a fireman, now think's maybe a forensic psychologist. (he's 17)

Miss yoyo in final year of uni and still not sure, "maybe marketing" I can see her as an academic though... that plus world domination
mystery

Post by mystery »

Sounds like all your children are more sensible than mine. When asked at age 3 what she wanted to do when she was grown up, my DD said "drink wine".