Gifts to teachers

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Sally-Anne

Gifts to teachers

Post by Sally-Anne »

DH is all agitated because I have bought quite a nice present for one of my son's teachers at his GS to thank her for having supported him through some tricky moments this term.

DH is muttering about whether it is taxable and would therefore cause her a problem.

I've pointed out that another class at the school has made a collection to buy some vouchers for the form teacher, and apparently the amount raised looks more like a pay rise than a token of appreciation!

Does anyone know the answer on tax?
resmum

presents

Post by resmum »

Surely a present is exactly that. Unless you are giving her a big bag of cash I don't think the taxman would be interested. It's not as if you are giving her a tip for her services.

Still, in modern-day mad Britain I wouldn't be surprised if teachers now had to fill in a "Receipt of fruit products" form detailing how many apples were left on their desk in the course of the year.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I think there is usually a declarable limit on gifts ... off the top of my head I can't remember whether it is £25 or £100 ..

more likely £100 as there was muttering the other day about someone getting a Fortnum's hamper.....!!!! More likely we don't declare the bottles of whiskey!!!

I expect someone will be able to enlighten us more fully
rosered100

Post by rosered100 »

When I was working, many moons ago, it was £70 or £75. We had to be careful what we sent customers as apart from the tax involved, it could be seen as bribery for more business. Some of our competitors though(american), used to book a chalet in Switzerland & take the customers off for a couple of days skiing!! - couldnt compete with that, being a UK based business.