Male reception class teachers

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
ourmaminhavana

Male reception class teachers

Post by ourmaminhavana »

Hi, I'm looking to pick a few brains if I may. Does anyone have any experience of a male teacher taking a reception class? I'd be interested to know of any advantages and disadvantages as well as parental attitudes and any known research on this.
Many thanks.
Ourmaminhavana
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

No experience, although my daughter and son had a male teacher for part of each week in year 1 and year 2. It wasn't something that crossed my mind - the gender issue - and he was no better or worse than any other teachers I know.

Is there a particular aspect that is worrying you?
doodles

Post by doodles »

What sort of school is it? Mixed, girls, boys, indie, prep, primary etc?
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

Thanks Ed's mum. I don't have a firm view on this and think it depends on the calibre of the teacher. I'm interested in other people's ideas. With any other year I have no problem at all, indeed my son's had some excellent male teachers. Also, I think for children without father figures at home male teachers can potentially be great role models.
However I would like the approach to be if there is a male teacher in reception he can hug the kids in the same way as anyone else would (even though of course no one's supposed to now). I'm also wondering if toileting the children would be trickier for a male?
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

Sorry Doodles, our posts crossed. It's a state primary school reception class.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I think it's great to have male teachers as early as possible as many young children are generally surrounded by females and either have no or minimal male interaction at all or until the weekends.

Children of reception age need to be able to take themselves to the lavatory and the same argument could be made about a female teacher taking a boy to the loo.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I'm also wondering if toileting the children would be trickier for a male?
I would think that this is not really an issue, I;ve taught reception and it is a more a case of herding them to the loo.........and teh odd bit of mopping
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wLAqoVr/]
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wLAqoVr/weight.png[/img]
[/url]
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Yes, I would expect all the reception class to be able to take themselves to the toilet. If any needed help surely that would be down to the TA anyway wouldn't it???

My dd had experience of male teachers during the final 3 years at primary and I'm very glad she did.

It can come as something of a shock for ALL the children to have to deal with great big hairy men after being surrounded by females for so many years - it should be mandatory that each school has at least 1 male teacher, unfortunately they don't go in for the littlies so much :cry:
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

Ok so are there any negatives, beyond possible parental prejudice?
It wouldn't bother my child in the slightest, but would children who had been at home soley with their mother and separated for the first time find it any harder to adjust to a man?
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

All the more reason to have a male teacher early I'd say!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now