Primary Maths Challenge Final

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
ourmaminhavana

Primary Maths Challenge Final

Post by ourmaminhavana »

Hi, Just had to share our delight that DS, much to our amazement, is in the final of this competition! I guess lots of other people here will be in a similar situation so good luck to all. He's thrilled to bits just to have got thus far :)
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Congrats to your son and I hope he does well in the nest rounds.

My son (Year 4) has just got a silver certificate in the challenge which was a complete shock. He has struggled for years with maths and at one point it was thought he had dyscalculia. The school puts all pupils from Year 4 upwards into the challenge and he was the only boy in his year group to get a certificate. I think the school is in shock too! :o :lol:
Freya

Post by Freya »

YEY YEY YEY

Big congrats to little ourmaminhavana and little Tipsy 2 for brilliant achievements!

Good luck for the finals ourmaminhavana!
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wyiCN5R/weight.png[/img]
doodles

Post by doodles »

Well done and good luck for the finals. Hope you are very very proud. DS1 managed bronze certificate so your DC's must be ab fab.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

The word "fluke" comes to mind with my DS! :lol:
rosered100

Post by rosered100 »

Do you know what the cut off mark is this year?
My son was the only one in his school to do the test & hasnt been told if he got through or not. He scored 22 & apparently in the past this was the cut off mark. I think 11+ prep helped him in the paper but it would be nicce if other pupils were put forward as well.
rachag

Post by rachag »

Cut off mark for finals was 21 this year.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

DS1's school don't put the boys in for the finals. I've never asked why - didn't know there were finals until this thread was posted - but there are UKMT Maths Challenges around the same time as the Primary Maths Challenge and I don't think they can fit them all in. May be the same for your DC Rosered. Congrats on his score too.
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

That's great Tipsy Junior and little Doodles. You must be very chuffed! We were definitely not expecting it and certainly don't have high hopes for the final. He scraped in with 21. :)

I'm just very, very proud of him :oops:

Well done rosered100. Good luck to your son in the final!

PS Do you mean not all of your son's class were entered for the Maths Challenge?
rosered100

Post by rosered100 »

Only my son was entered (yr 6) & he tells me one boy from year 4 came at the last minute. Last year all of year 6 & five of them from year 5 sat it. DS missed by one mark so they decided to give him another try this year.
Last year was the first time the school had tried the challenge - they are not known for good maths results. We only joined there last year & now I know why - they are only doing 10x table this year!!! - he had to know all his tables up to 12x by end of year 2 at his last school so he is very bored & they thought this would stetch him a bit.
I do think there were others that would have been capable of getting good scores so was surprised that they didnt do it - not sure of their reasoning but I could guess (demotivating if scores are low?)