What age can I leave the kids alone in the evening

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Is a MOD going off topic on my thread? :shock:

Only joking! Well done Zorro's son! When will you find out about the scholarship - I want to know! :lol:
Loopyloulou

Post by Loopyloulou »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Loopy
zorro

Post by zorro »

Grovel grovel!
Humblest apologies for deviation of thread Tipsy.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

zorro wrote:Grovel grovel!
Humblest apologies for deviation of thread Tipsy.
You haven't answered the question Zorro! :roll:
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

I think you have to take your lead from the children themselves. I occasionally left my older children on their own (singly, never together) for at most an hour here or there when they were 11, but I have to say my youngest, currently 11, really does not like to be left on his own, and if I have to for some reason, he will call me up frequently asking me when will I be back. So I very rarely leave him on his own. When my oldest reached the age of about 16, I would leave him babysitting for the others, but only rarely, really. We are very boring and don't go out much, so it wasn't really an issue. Generally our social life involves going to friends for dinner, and we can usually always bring whatever children are around with us.
The problem now is that the older ones don't want to go and as we usually stay overnight with our friends, we have to make sure they are staying at a friend's, because I won't leave them on their own overnight, although I have to say I know some people who do. (the older 3 are 19,18 and 16). I suppose now the oldest is at university, I would be ok to leave him overnight on his own now, but I really wouldn't be happy about it. I'm afraid now he might not want to come on holiday with us this year or next and will be wanting to stay at home for a fortnight on his own. That will be scary :shock:
youngest

Post by youngest »

My understanding is that if you have a babysitter under 16 and something happens to them and your children, then you are responsible for all of them.

Have I made this up?

DD has happily done the babysitting for us since she was 14, for pay! But this is the era of mobile phones and we have never been more than 5 miles away.
teffi

Post by teffi »

This is very interesting. My DS starts at secondary school in September.

Two boys who live on our street attend the school which my DS has applied for, they are in Year 7. They walk past my window at 4.20 p.m. on their way home. I work on 3 of the weekdays, and on those days I get home around 5.15 after going to either grandparents or the childminder to pick up both children. I would leave the minding arrangements in place for my younger child but am thinking of allowing DS to be home alone for the hour. Maybe not right at the start of term but bring it in gradually on a trial basis?

Now to the sensitive subject of. . . . the key. I'm fairly sure DS would lose the key, because I do, regularly! ( It always turns up, and now I have a SYSTEM involving a dish since New Year which is working well) How do I stop him losing a key which he would have to take to school. May have to come up with some kind of concealed key idea. Any suggestions will be welcome.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Teffi,

I think adolescent boys are so hungry that he will only lose his key once and remember how he stood starved outside the front door until you got home! :lol: If he does lose the key though you should not run home from work early as this will not teach him his lesson of being out in the cold and hungry!
inkypinkyponky

Post by inkypinkyponky »

Many hundreds of years ago when I was 6, I used to catch the bus home, cost 2p, and let myself in to the house with the front door key.

The key was on a brown, very itchy piece of string which was put round my neck every morning. I can remember the itchiness and having a sore neck, and it bumping against my chest when I did P.E.

Oh please, stop those violins!
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

oooooh you're a hard woman Tipsy!!

I'd be running back as quick as possible, I'm sucha soft touch :oops: :oops:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now