What age can I leave the kids alone in the evening

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Burneth

Post by Burneth »

tense wrote:Teffi

How about attaching the key to elastic? (about a 1/4 inch wide, the flat type). The other end of the elastic can be sewn securely to the inside pocket of his rucksack. You just have to test that he can stretch it far enough to reach the lock!

I'm sure I read that tip on here somewhere when I was wondering what to do for my DD (didn't actually use it, she is one of those with a dozen daft bits on her key ring - I'm more worried the weight of it will pin her to the floor one day :roll: ).
My DS has a key permanently attached to ruck sack and it appears to have worked since he hasn't lost the key yet....lost lots of other stuff but that's another story!
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;51;459/st/20080902/e/DS%27s+1st+day+at+senior/k/f5bf/event.png[/img]

PS I am Burneth and I am a lady....!
KB

Post by KB »

You can get metal boxes with combination lock that can be attached to wall etc & a key locked inside.
You could leave a key here so he only has to remember combination - but children have to understand they can't tell anyone the number!
Alternatively you could leave a spare in ithe box & only tell him the number if he gets locked out (also works if anyone else gets locked out etc)
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

My DS has a key permanently attached to ruck sack and it appears to have worked since he hasn't lost the key yet....lost lots of other stuff but that's another story!

Master yoyo would just lose key AND rucksack

:roll: :roll: :roll:
Warks mum

Post by Warks mum »

Just before DD started at secondary school someone on the forum recommended a keyring with a plastic curly string (like on a traditional telephone handset) and clip to keep the locker key safe. We found one at the local market (about 50p) and it's permanently clipped to the rucksack inside. So far she's avoided losing the locker key.

Wouldn't work if the rucksack went missing though...
KB

Post by KB »

Can clip it to blazer/trousers etc (as long as they remember to swop it when putting trousers in the wash :)
teffi

Post by teffi »

Thankyou all for these fab ideas. So far am favouring the elastic sewn to rucksack suggested by tense. Mainly because I like sewing things onto things! I love having a big pile of nametapes and brand new uniform to sew them onto! Curly phone flex keyring might work too. Possibly keyring on trousers would be good also ( rather than blazer) on the grounds that he is unlikely to come home sans trousers, unless he has done sport last thing? Oh it's a minefield. Sometimes wish I did not think so far ahead!
zorro

Post by zorro »

Sewing name tapes on is my absolute worst nightmare! :shock:
I always try and get away with iron-on ones.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

zorro wrote:Sewing name tapes on is my absolute worst nightmare! :shock:
Well tell this to someones who's moved their kids around a lot! :(
mad?

Post by mad? »

T.i.p.s.y wrote:
zorro wrote:Sewing name tapes on is my absolute worst nightmare! :shock:
Well tell this to someones who's moved their kids around a lot! :(
:lol: :lol: :lol:
mad?
Glos_Mum

Post by Glos_Mum »

Last edited by Glos_Mum on Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now