G & T register to be scrapped?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Amber

Post by Amber »

Yeah, grade inflation - don't get me started on that! In the good old days, when I was at school.... a B at A level still sounded pretty good. Sigh. Our kids must think we are all pretty thick, what with As (no A* in 'O" levels - we weren't bright enough for those) Bs and, maybe even the odd C?
MrsK40

Abolishing G & T register

Post by MrsK40 »

I read something about this on the Mumsnet website. As far as I could make out, the government are changing the scheme, so that children are still identified and stretched at school, but the funding to the Young Gifted and Talented college (£20 million, was being diverted to help children struggling in difficult socio-economic circumstances). The college was still going to run it's programme but at a much reduced capacity because of lack of funding.

It seems to me, we all are lacking exact information about how schools implement this scheme. And different schools do it differently. Our primary school takes G & T children out for differentiated lessons once a week but this is very ad hoc and happens for one or maybe two terms, if they get the time. Also, interestingly in DS2's year group no-one was identifed as gifted in Maths this year, as none of them scored highly enough (so the school can't be taking the top 10 %). Our school only extends children in maths and english.Does identify kids who have talents in science, music, drama, or art, but gives them no extra lessons in these subjects.

It sounds like every school decides how to implement the scheme differently.
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Yeah, grade inflation - don't get me started on that!
This is all so familiar! Did your own parents not say exactly the same thing to you, when you got your O/A/Degree results? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Amber

Post by Amber »

This is all so familiar! Did your own parents not say exactly the same thing to you, when you got your O/A/Degree results?
No, because no-one in my family had ever been to uni before. They were dancing on the tables, almost literally, whenever I managed anything, really. Sob story past, my family, which I won't trot out here to make you feel really bad! :wink:
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

They were dancing on the tables, almost literally, whenever I managed anything
I'm not sobbing - I'm outrageously jealous! :D
laid back son worried mum

Post by laid back son worried mum »

mitasol wrote:I'm not sobbing - I'm outrageously jealous!
Then I won't te11 you about the 2 vanloads of family and relatives who came on the first day of term at my DC's grammar, with cameras to record at the school gates, the auspicious FIRST DAY on the road to EXCE11ENT EDUCATION of a new Yr7.

ah ble55!
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Did DC walk nonchalantly through the gate? Image
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Sorry I went OT

Apparently G&T is moving assets????
Welcome to the Gifted and Talented area of the National Strategies. We are in the process of moving the assets from the Young Gifted & Talented site to this location, forming a single, focused G&T area for practitioners and learners.
http://nationalstrategies.standards.dcs ... ndtalented
laid back son worried mum

Post by laid back son worried mum »

mitasol wrote:Did DC walk nonchalantly through the gate?
oh no...not my DC's first day!! I just pushed mine through the gates after straightening his tie and licking his face clean.

a thousand apologises for going OT again. I am G& T at time-saving ski11s if anyone is interested.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now