Worried children

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Ellie

Worried children

Post by Ellie »

I have gained some useful information from the forum. However, My dd's teacher has warned that some children are becoming clearly recognisable to schools because their parents are airing too much personal information about themselves and their children on this very public website

My dd's are quite worried about it and have asked me not to post any details of their new schools. Are we worrying unnecessarily?
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

No. There are a handful of people here who are very easily identifiiable by just about anyone, and many more of us who could be identified by someone who knows us reasonably well.

The problem, as you point out, is not that we can be identified but that it also identifies our kids. I've said more than a few things about ours such that I wouldn't be happy for them to be identified by either teachers, other parents or other kids. I've posted too much in the past and now try to take more care (as far as possible since what's been said cannot be unsaid), having had a nasty moment when it appeared possible I might know another poster. I didn't, but it would have been a very uncomfortable situation if it had been the person I thought.

Mike
familyinthevalley

Post by familyinthevalley »

I don't know of any information that is on here that could be used detrimetnally to our children? I could see if we are putting info that a paedo or such could access and identify our kids, but I would challenge anybody to be able to show up to my kids school and point him out and know him by name......wouldn't happen - well, except for one other poster who has a son that is a good friend of my son's after having attending another school together :)

What type of info is the teacher at your school concerned about? Sorry, it sounds more like a case of a teacher letting you know she's on the site.

I know if the HT of the school I am hoping my son goes to was on here, he would recognise me and my child right away.....why does it hurt for him to know how badly I want my son to go there? Any person logging into the site wouldn't know :shock:
Padstow

Post by Padstow »

In the last 2 weeks or so, there has also been a case of mistaken identity where people think they know who it is but it is not who they think. Confusing? I have read that Internet Safety thread and I think people should definitely be more careful, anyways. I wouldn't want anyone to identify my DCs. But if I wrote about my special DD, people who know us would know it is us straight away.
Ellie

Post by Ellie »

I am sure that some teachers check out this site, even if only out of curiousity.

My dd's teacher was giving a talk to the class about internet safety generally and some of the children piped up that their parents (mothers mainly) talked about them on this site. The teacher replied to the children that she knew and that certain children were clearly identifiable.

It is fair to conclude that certain posters sometimes go off topic and reveal quite alot about their children including their IQ etc.

Given that information, once posted on the internet is out there forever, I do not want my children complaining to Oprah in years to come that it was all my fault. The last comment about Oprah was a joke by the way :)
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Ellie wrote:Given that information, once posted on the internet is out there forever
All Forum members can edit their own posts to remove information that, in hindsight, they feel they should not have posted. The "Edit" button is in the top right hand corner of each post.
familyinthevalley

Post by familyinthevalley »

A few months ago I told a friend about this site. She was already a member. We told each other our usernames, as we hadn't picked up on one another. I would hope that our DC's would be grateful we were on a site like this, trying to do the best for them, rather than being on facebook with an 'open site' and pictures and personal information all over the place. Now that would be a case for Oprah in future years! We take precautions on places like facebook - ie, only friends can see certain information, pictures etc., but here we are anonymous by real name, as are our children. I certainly wouldn't be concerned about a teacher reading any of my comments, or even supposing that he or she knew it was my kids being discussed.
I don't think that I've mentioned the high school we are applying to - but that would be purely because I know places might be tight as in the last few years, and wouldn't want to promote it too much in case my son missed out :( I always thought the less applicants the better :)
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

Just curiously say I posted my DD's school, her IQ and all that makes her easily identifiable what would a paedophile do with that info. Sorry I am just trying to think how useful that info maybe to other person. I havent posted anything too personal but just curious what would happen if that information went into a sicko's hands. Just trying to think about this internet safety thing

I really dont see how this information would be of any use unless maybe if my house address was there? Am I missing something? please enlighten me :oops:
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Sherry D, I don't think you're missing anything at all.

We all have to be aware and practice 'safe internet use', but I do think sometimes a little hysteria takes over.

Unless real names and addresses are used I really don't think anyone can positively identify anyone else. In extreme cases there may be one or two who 'think' they know who someone is but unless and until the person concerned confirms it that's all it will remain.

As for the teacher who used this website as an example, well, I think more harm than good's been done. I'm all for informing children and 'safe internet use' but this infomation has obviously scared them!

I openly challenge anyone to identify me (and I've posted more than enough information to be able to identify me over the course of time on these boards, you just gotta find it :lol: ). If anyone can, please pm me - DO NOT do it on an open board, and I will disclose here on this thread whether or not anyone has been able to do so. As I have nothing to hide, done nothing wrong and nothing to be ashamed of I don't expect it to change my life even if I were 'recognised' ............................. but I won't be :lol: :lol: :lol:
Addict

Post by Addict »

A lurker, an addict and a teacher as well!

I suppose it is not the paedos so much that we have to think about on this forum. It's probably the level of privacy you are willing to forego if you addicted to the site and your children can be identified via your postings.
Teachers have children too and they are more likely to read this site as they are more clued up about education and educational sites. Children also do not like the idea that their mums have discussed their wilful behaviour in the run up to the exams or other related or unrelated problems.

A member had posted about her nephew's spectacular GCSE results and I knew immediately who she was talking about. So, in effect, like Mike said, there will be some who can be identified by those who know us fairly well. Whether you are okay with being recognised or not is up to you.

Is this a continuation of the Internet safety thread? I thought the consensus on that locked thread was not to challenge anyone to find anybody?

Snowdrops, I have sent you a PM.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now