Can anyone tell me.....

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Just out of interest LfH, did you only find out about the school's draconian stance on mobile phones after your son started there? I just think that if the school is so strict on this matter then it should let parents know at the application stage (e.g. open day), so that anyone contemplating a long journey to school would at least know that the child would have to do it without any means of contact. If the school realizes that this rule could have an impact on applications, then it might relax its stance.

By the way, and (ever so) slightly off topic, our village phonebox now exists purely for decorative purposes. And the irony is that we don't even have a decent mobile signal!
Marylou
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

Hi Marylou

We were unaware at time of application, it became apparent at interview with head of year in July before we started. Then again, we never thought to ask as my older children's school is very lax about phones - as long as they don't disturb in lessons, there's no problem. Also as a point to note, it is a Catholic school so the catchment area is huge, there must be other people in the same situation whose children have a very long way to go. I do know of another couple of children from our area, I think they had all been hiding phones in their bags/coats/lockers, but Friday's developments leave us all unsure how to proceed.

Hey ho, I'm biting the bullet and sending him without it on Monday, he is happier that way, I'm not :cry: and I'll see what reaction I get to my letter.
Thanks
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

I suggest that you make a little fuss. I genuinely think this is an unreasonable stance. Yes they can have firm rules about using them within school but I really feel that, once the child is away from the school and travelling, then the school should allow the parent and child to have an arrangement that suits them. In fact, I dislike the word 'allow' as I truly think it then becomes none of their business.

I agree that they were not needed when we had a plethora of public 'phones but times have changed. Parents now tend to both work and not be tied to the home 'phone, public 'phones have all but disappeared and long journeys require a good means of communication: essential not desirable.

Good luck with this.
Ally

Post by Ally »

Your DS's school seems to be operating a policy of guilty until proven innocent.

You're in a difficult position trying to tell the head that there are bigger issues than the school worrying about DC's having mobile phone in their bags/lockers that aren't switched on. It wouldn't work having to hand a mobile to the office each day, as it would take up to much staff time and DC's would miss buses whilst waiting to collected them at the end of the day. How about suggesting if a DC is caught using a mobile phone without permission, the mobile will not be returned until it's collected by a parent. Have you looked on other schools websites to check on their mobile phone policy.

You need to find a way to approach the head and make the school update their mobile phone policy. Can the PTA help ? Good luck.
Amber

Post by Amber »

I would write a letter to the Head if I were you, suggesting that they review the policy on phones and explaining why. As I have posted elsewhere, at my DD's school, the students have to hand in their mobiles in KS3 and collect at the end of the day registration. In KS4 they can keep them on their person, but switched off; and in sixth form they can have them on. The younger ones get the phones confiscated if they are in contravention of the rules. It works really well and I know I can always contact DD at the end of school when she gets her phone back. If she remembers to turn it on, that is!
Maybe you could suggest something like this to reassure them you don't want to have him texting all day long or ringing you to say he's forgotten his sandwiches, but that in an emergency it would be a potential life-saver.
Good luck.
magwich2

Post by magwich2 »

I think he would be better off secreting the mobile about his person as the school would be on dodgier ground actually searching him!
Perhaps a secret pocket sewn inside blazer or trousers - cannot imagine any sensible teacher wanting to pursue an intimate search!!
Amber

Post by Amber »

tee hee - yes, you could have great fun with that in the News of the World, especially if you put the pocket in his boxers. Mind you, body sensors at Manchester Airport - next stop, a school near you.
moved

Post by moved »

Gman wrote:As for needing a phone because of the distance travelled. Nonsense. Yes they have made peoples lives easier, but for years children travelled long distances without them. In emergencies if your child is stuck at school, they will let him use the school phone.
I strongly disagree with this statement. During the year that my children travelled on the train for an hour each way their phones were essential to stop me from worrying about harm. In one instance a train fell on their train and caught fire; they used their phones to inform me that they were alive and well.

We make decisions concerning children travelling long distances based on their use of a phone. My own children would not have made the journey without a phone.

As a child I flew unaccompanied between London and Edinburgh to spend time with both parents. When my father was delayed I was kept frightened and alone in the stewards lounge. It would have been a much more pleasant experience if I had known that the A9 was blocked due to an accident and that he would be there as soon as possible.

Push the need for a phone. What reason can the school provide for not taking the phone into the office during the school day?
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

Thank you everyone for your advice and support. Moved, I understand your worry completely, and can imagine a worried child with no means of contacting parents while waiting. I would not have chosen this school journey if there had been an easier way. He copes very well with it, as long as he has his phone. I have written my letter now, and we will see what the school has to say. Magwich we have thought long and hard about where to put a secret pocket, :wink: but feel that somehow his phone might go off even if switched off - it seems to have a rather random method of switching itself on even if locked. :shock: I have taken on board what you have all said, and I hope that the head will listen.
The thing is, the school seems to be working out well, it is a large comprehensive, and I think to maintain order and also good results, they have taken a very hard line approach to behaviour issues, which on one hand is a good thing. No nonsense of any sort is accepted, after school detentions are common place, but I am happy with that, I just need him to have his phone on the journey. :cry:

Thank you everyone for your replies, they are much appreciated :lol:
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Forgot to say...things like this are policy issues which are the responsibility of the governors. For example http://www.burleigh.org.uk/school/mobilephonepolicy .
Your school should have a similar written policy on mobile phone use, drawn up and reviewed periodically. School policies are available to parents on request, so it might be worth checking whether yours doesn't actually say the use of phones at school is banned rather than the phones themselves. If not, then your son's travel situation is reason enough to show how such a policy is unreasonable and needs to be updated. Schools are rightly concerned about the risk of disruption from phones going off in class, cyberbullying and inappropriate use of built-in cameras etc., but this should likewise all be covered by the policy and should not prevent those with a genuine need from carrying a phone.
Marylou
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now