Withold or share information?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now

Withold or share information?

Post by Guest »

My child will shortly be sitting a second entrance exam to a London grammer school. The school tries to keep the exact format secret. However local tutors, previous candidates, local schools must be in the know. Despite a lot of postings, many respondents seem reluctant to share whatever information they have managed to gather.
What do you do - share and disadvantage your child or keep quiet and watch others search for information that you know?
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

Share,

Had the same problem for Reading School, just waiting for the late sitters and boarders to finish tomorrow and then I will post our notes, everything I wanted to know a year ago.

However schools can change formats from year to year so part of the preparation is be prepared for the unexpected and cope as best you can.

Users of this forum probably have an advantage over many other candidates.

stevew61

Post by Guest »

Most people do share what they know but access to this kind of information can be neither straightforward or readily available. I went through the process last year and had all my concerns etc. answered by this site.
sj355

Re: Withold or share information?

Post by sj355 »

If you are talking about QE, the answer is complex: we have close friends whose kids took the exams to this school recently. So we received detailed information from more than one sources (directly from the kids themselves). This proved almost catastrophic, as the school is aware of this and every 2-3 years changes the format and/or content. In our case it changed the length and duration of the NVR section (from 80 to 40 questions and from 50 to 15 mins!!!), and the content of the VR section (inclusion of HIKNOS questions in an NFER paper!). My son was a little taken aback, but thankfully he passed! He has asked me to provide him with no further information regarding the 2nd round...

Regards,

Anonymous wrote:My child will shortly be sitting a second entrance exam to a London grammer school. The school tries to keep the exact format secret. However local tutors, previous candidates, local schools must be in the know. Despite a lot of postings, many respondents seem reluctant to share whatever information they have managed to gather.
What do you do - share and disadvantage your child or keep quiet and watch others search for information that you know?
sj355
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now