parents evenings

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
sally40

parents evenings

Post by sally40 »

Hi all , my ds is in year 7 and have got his first parents evening coming up have you any tips on the sort of questions i should be asking to get as much information in the short allocated time thanks. :?
Sassie'sDad

Post by Sassie'sDad »

Gut instinct is all I can offer. Have been through these sessions in both private and public sector over 20 years and can honestly say have found them an immensely frustrating time until recently!

Just a PR exercise for the school. Just when I thought I was a died in the wool cynic I have had to submit myself to parents evenings at Rugby School. These are a full on social evening complete with nibbles and wine. Conversation is mostly about child's progress, or lack of it, and is a genuine exchange of views: no pressure :no time constraints. The teachers are all disarmingly frank and, unlike previous experience, not dismissive on a parents' ability to asses their dd/ds's relative strengths and weaknesses. It's a right of passage: stick in there!
bromley mum

Post by bromley mum »

You know your child quite well so take that as your starting point. Listen to what the teachers have to say. If you are aware of any weaknesses then see if it has been spotted or not. If not point it out and tactfully ask why it hasn't been spotted. If it has ask what the school is doing to remedy it. Also, ask if your DC has fitted in socially. School is not all about academia and a happy child is a good student. Your DC may not tell you everything but the teachers should (in in my case do) pick up what's been happening in the class as far as social life is concerned. If your Dc has said that he/she finds some areas of the curriculum difficult ask what help is available and what can you as a parent do. I have been very fortunate as have had excellent feedback on these evenings (both in the private and state sector). If you feel that the time alloted is not enough then ask to make a special appointment. Again, in my experience teachers are very happy to do so. Good luck.