AARRGGHH!! My DS is showing signs of being a talented artist

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Cats12

Post by Cats12 »

doodles wrote:Suncrest - my advice ENJOY his talents -as for proper jobs - they are not all they are cracked up to be I promise! Anyway, if he wants one of those how about Architecture or some such profession where he can combine both sets of talents.

I would really encourage my children to think outside of the box for a job and not follow a traditional path. Both DH (talented linguist) and I did - I escaped after nearly 20 years and am so happy, he poor man has yet to do so.........
excellent advice if you ask me. My DH was encouraged on traditional path by family despite creative talents and is so often miserable in his job. For the arty with technical talent architecture a great path. Also I would think creativity and thinking outside the box often go hand in hand and would be v difficult to suppress/ignore. Your DC sounds v talented :)
jingle

Post by jingle »

I think it is great and he is very lucky to have a talent like this.Lots of scope for many different careers .My son is unsurpassed at lego construction and currently wants to be 'chief lego builder' at a certain theme park in Windsor. Not too much call for that I fear!
solimum

Post by solimum »

Sound like excellent candidates for engineering to me! My DS1 was always drawing (cartoons, inventions etc) and is the only one of my DC to take Art GCSE (I'm utterly hopeless in that direction..) but also enjoyed Physics and is now approaching the end of a Mechanical Engineering degree: he also looked at design engineering/ product design / automotive options (though not civil - he likes to design things that move apparently!)

And he still likes to make things with Lego/ K'nex etc
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

We went to see a school last weekend and we were so impressed by the art department. My DD's dad is VERY artistic but unfortunately never got the opportunity to show what he could do. It was raw natural talent that seem such a waste for something he loved. He ended up in the medical proffession but to this day, even seeing such a brilliant display is a stark painful reminder of something he loved but was never given the opportunity and the what if questions will always be there even though he loves his career now.

If he loves it, then maybe there is raw talent. At that age I didnt want anything remotely associated with what my parents did but now I am doing exactly what they did. I had some very uninspiring jobs and moved from one to the next in hunt for the next best thing but realised how sad I was in paid employment and that it just wasnt for me. Now I am doing what I love doing, I dont earn anywhere near what I did as an employee but wouldnt swap that for the world. All that education my parents sacrified for me seem like a waste but I look at it as something that opened my world and my mind and gave me the guts to keep going and reaching for the stars (if i ever reach them) :lol:
Impossible is Nothing.
Milla

Post by Milla »

oh blimey, let him be an artist! My dad is one and makes good dosh (he IS a fantastic artist, though!)
My boy wants to be an actor. Now that IS a worry! I do encourage him, thinking that discouragement will never work. This when I suggested that 93% of actors were out of work at any given time. He looked at me and said, as if to an idiot, "I'll be in the 7%" I was so pleased he worked out the maths (maths NOT being his thing) that hoist and petard didn't cross my mind.
doodles

Post by doodles »

My son is unsurpassed at lego construction and currently wants to be 'chief lego builder' at a certain theme park in Windsor. Not too much call for that I fear
Jingle, somebody has to do the job so why not him? :D
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
Milla

Post by Milla »

doodles wrote:
My son is unsurpassed at lego construction and currently wants to be 'chief lego builder' at a certain theme park in Windsor. Not too much call for that I fear
Jingle, somebody has to do the job so why not him? :D
because MY son wants the job!!! :twisted:
[img]http://sl.glitter-graphics.net/pub/47/47055t4vjrz296r.gif[/img]
inkypinkyponky

Post by inkypinkyponky »

sherry_d wrote: I had some very uninspiring jobs and moved from one to the next in hunt for the next best thing but realised how sad I was in paid employment and that it just wasnt for me. Now I am doing what I love doing, I dont earn anywhere near what I did as an employee but wouldnt swap that for the world.
Well, sherry_d, that's a very dangly carrot!

What on earth do you do?

I'm 43 and still don't know what to do when I grow up, if I ever do!

To Master Suncrest, I say "Emin, Banksy,Hirst et al." Go for it!

And speaking as having an Art Degree, it has been no help whatsoever in any job I've had, but I had a fab time doing it, and have lots of inkypinkyponky (not my real name obviously!) originals now hanging on the walls of our humble abode.
Having recently discoverd water-mixable oils that don't need turps or white spirit, I'm like a pig in clover, rediscovering my arty side and turning out paintings like there's no tomorrow, on canvases that only cost 99p in the local 99p shop. :lol:
Amber

Post by Amber »

As someone with a DA (drawing age) of 4 years 3 months (on a generous indicator) and with a specific but undiagnosed learning difficulty in that department, I am in awe of anyone who can draw something which looks recognisable. I don't work in special education for nothing.
Cats12

Post by Cats12 »

[quote="inkypinkyponkyHaving recently discoverd water-mixable oils that don't need turps or white spirit, I'm like a pig in clover, rediscovering my arty side and turning out paintings like there's no tomorrow, on canvases that only cost 99p in the local 99p shop. :lol:[/quote]

My walls in need of some 'art' - wish I lived near you :)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now