How much computer/television for a ten year old?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

bromley mum

Post by bromley mum »

muffinmonster wrote:I'm starting to feel like a control freak!
I know sombody who has set limits on how much screen time the kids are allowed. The TV and computer are in the kids room but plugged in her room and on a timer. So, the TV and computer get switched off automatically!!
Rugbymum

Post by Rugbymum »

My 12 year old DS is limited to 2 hours on his computer or x-box. He'll happily stay on these all day otherwise :roll:

My 10 years old DD doesn't spend much time on the computer or watching TV so I don't need to set limits.
Hector

Post by Hector »

We have vague limits in our house too. :oops:
No tv or computer untill after 4pm on any day.This is the definite rule, other stuff open to negotiation/whining/peace tactics :lol:
Approx 1 hour (Friends :oops: or football :cry: ) tv
Approx 45 min computer for DS (DD not terribly interested)
Though like most everyone else's DC, as soon as it stops being dark, DS is outside kicking a ball around. Then when its dark, he's inside kicking a ball-shaped object around :twisted: :twisted:
Cats12

Post by Cats12 »

My DS got pc for xmas and up until recently it has been a struggle to get him off it. I'd like to say he's limited to an hour a day after school but it is sometimes more.
We don't have Sky or Cable (now that's a whole other argument my DCs often return to) so attractions of TV limited (Simpsons, Masterchef DCs like) (and no TVs in bedrooms).
Think DS goes through phases with particular games etc...In an off phase now thankfully.
Now it is getting lighter football, trampoline etc.. drawing DCs outside.
hilltop

Post by hilltop »

2 hours in one go is the limit in our house and then he has to do something completely different ie. he can't move from the computer straight to watching TV.
rosered100

Post by rosered100 »

We have loose limits. No computer after about 7pm, else they cant get to sleep easily & also no wii after 8pm for the same reason - too hyped, though its only PES football.
For the computer we make DS have a break after about 45 minutes for his eyes sake. We dont need any limits on tv as the only programmes they will watch are Top Gear & science related - they are watching Brian Cox as I type :lol: & occasionally F1 & football on the weekends. Both DS are so into warhammer now that nothing else can compete.
Midget Man

Post by Midget Man »

As we speak my 10yr old is reading through a 'Wood Elves' warhammer thing and planning his army list :lol: His handwriting has suddenly become so much neater this year since planning all his warhammer strategies so a result!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now