Feeling deflated after Yr 5 parents evening

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

slackmum

Post by slackmum »

It all sounds so familiar - at my last parents evening I was told how distracted my DS was and not really concentrating. Yet on his report card every subject was an A for effort and well above average for achievment. I am now used to them concentrating on the niggly negative things as his results are always so good to criticise and they need to give him something to work on, we just ignore it. But this year they threatened to write a less than glowing letter to his secondary school that really angered me.

He too is bored which is THEIR fault, he doesn't muck about he just day dreams.

When he was in year 4 he did year 6 maths, when he was in year 5 he did year 6 maths and now he is in year 6 he does year 6 maths - I would be bored too. He asks for extra harder work it is promised but never forthcoming.

I appreciate that I haven't given you any useful advice but hopefully our story shows how common this is with bright children in a class of average kids (no one else in his year passed for GS). The pressure is all on bringing those at the bottom up for the SATs rather than stretching the more able. Be grateful it is just fiddling not disruptive behaviour that your DS is using to divert from the boredom!!

Lots of stimulation and puzzles at home I say, the preparation for the GS exam will be welcome relief to him probably.
Milla

Post by Milla »

just had a fab y6 parents' evening; am now stressing that this means that he's not really bright enough!
familyinthevalley

Post by familyinthevalley »

yoyo123 wrote:could it be that he is bored? If he is scoring that highly he needs to be challenged. personally if they fiddle, fidget and swing and work I''m happy,
Exactly my first thought as well. My son in Year 5 can be the sweetest nicest kids - but watch out if he gets bored! He needs to constantly be challenged - and when he's being challenged, he's an absolute joy. Get him bored........and ouch! It must really hurt his forehead as those horns protrude!