boys' bikes

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Milla

boys' bikes

Post by Milla »

they're doing cycling proficiency at school soon and, guess what, DS2's bike's trashed.
So, we need to get a new one. trouble is, I'm so not a bike person and am therefore in need of help.
They ride them, the boys, down to the park (3 mins away) where the bike is then slung on the ground and abandoned until going home time so we're not in need of a Good Bike. We are not talking the next Chris Hoy.
If I go to the shop, my brain freezes and my heart sinks. All That Choice. I suppose an aluminium frame is good as light? er, what else?
What about buying them blind, on-line, through the T-word supermarket or the A-word-sells-everything-not-just-books place? It would save having to cram it into the boot at least.
Any good makes? By good, I mean cheap ... for a small 11 year old?
Glparent

Post by Glparent »

Have you tried a look at the house opposite the comp? He does up secondhand bikes - often has quite decent stock.

Have no idea how i'm going to manage getting bike onto car rack and off again every morning, given i'm always running late anyway!
Milla

Post by Milla »

you can always leave it with us! No need to ring bell or anything, just go down the side of the house. Up to you!
Glparent

Post by Glparent »

Thanks Milla, very kind of you - haven't got my head round that week yet as SATS is looming (for me more than DD) the previous week. Will figure it out and let you know!
(My comment now sounds like a pathetic hint - it wasn't! :oops:)
Ally

Post by Ally »

My DS's school allowed them to leave their bikes locked inside overnight, which helped. But had to buy a bike rack for my little car. DS had to have lesson on strapping the bike on to the rack, as there was no way I was going to do that

If you need a new bike have a look at bike shops on line. They may well do second hand bikes or even offer part exchange. We managed to get £35 for DS's old bike, which had come a large toy shop.

Your DC needs to try before you buy to make the bike is right and there is growth in it. Would highly recommend an independent bike shop, they know their stuff and they can't over change or they wouldn't still be in business. Also other large shops have hidden extra's such as build cost and there may be a wait time before they can build and you collect.
East lancs mumof4

Post by East lancs mumof4 »

Hi Milla - You could try contacting the Police! My friend bought an immaculate bike for her yr 7 son from the uncollected/retrieved stolen bike sale for £10! :D They had loads for sale and were desperate to make space and money towards victim support.
Who said children became easier when they grew older?
Milla

Post by Milla »

oooh, now that's a good idea!
doodles

Post by doodles »

Oooh - I'm on to that one too. May find one of the three bikes belonging to DH that have been stolen from the station :wink:
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
Amber

Post by Amber »

Those famous words, which some love and some hate (think you were the latter camp Milla!)...

Milla, I have pm-ed you.
doodles

Post by doodles »

Did I say something :?
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now